We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Main vs. Newsfeed [Answered] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Timothy
Timothy Mar 27 '13
I am so new at this, but I was wanting to know how people are using their main page versus the newsfeed page.

Is there much of a difference? I guess what I really want to know is what was the intended purpose of both page types?
The Forum post is edited by Alia Apr 1 '13
Alia Team
Alia Mar 27 '13
Timothy,  "Newsfeed" is a widget and not a page.
You can insert this widget to, for example, mail or user's dashboard page.
Besides the newsfeed you can have other elements/widgets on the page.

Basically main page is usually the page with general info: latest groups, videos,  photos, blogs and etc.Newsfeed of the main page shows the latest activity on the site: somebody joined, added photo, commented on video, became friends, sending gifts and etc.
Timothy
Timothy Mar 28 '13
Great. Thank you very much.
Frank
Frank Jan 12 '14
Is there a difference between the main page and the dashboard? Both look alike minus a few widgets. Do i need both?  thanks
The Forum post is edited by Frank Jan 12 '14
Mav
Mav Jan 12 '14

Quote from Frank Is there a difference between the main page and the dashboard? Both look alike minus a few widgets. Do i need both?  thanks
Yea Frank, The dashboard is a complete waste of time. Some of the dashboard widgets should just appear on the Main page when a user logs in. There is no need for the Dashboard and it just complicates the site confusing members.

I'm trying to have a separate custom index page to advertise the site better, and make it look better. Ideally a user logs in and then should land on the Main page that has all your 'home user' options.. the dashboard needs to go.