We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Restrict view works only one way - Paid Membership | Forum

Joseph
Joseph Apr 10 '13
restrict view seems to only work one way because as it stands even when my users upgrade to a premium account they are still considered a free or basic user so they still see the "please upgrade account" I place that I set to be restricted from premium view this leave a oxwall site looking very tacky and unprofessional 
The Forum post is edited by Alia Apr 12 '13
Alia Team
Alia Apr 11 '13
Joseph, by "users upgrade" you mean, users "buy" user roles via "Paid Membership" plugin?

I have just tested restricted view feature by changing the role manually and all worked well.
Joseph
Joseph Apr 11 '13
ok I am gonna try and explain this in better detail 

1.user signs up and see's a widget I have placed that free users can see 

2.user purchases premium membership via membership plugin

3.user can now see restricted view however user still see's advertisement widget to upgrade I want to restrict the users that pay from seeing that widget but there is no way because upgrading an account only adds premium to teh basic package it does not remove basic package 

when  user upgrades their account they should no longer see the widget i have tried using auto role assign as well(the plugin i bought from the store) and even that does, not solve the issue 

so once again trying to be very clear here my premium users should not see this widget that encourages basic users to upgrade their account but they do because if I set the restricted view to the basic accounts it makes it where every role see's it

Alia Team
Alia Apr 11 '13
Joseph, thank for clarifying.  I now understand what you mean. Will check with development team.
Alia Team
Alia Apr 12 '13
Jospeh and anybody else who will face this problem in future.

1. If you don't have "Paid Membership" plugin, then the way restricted view feature currently works - is the correct way. User roles are originally designed toward progression. User starts from having less permissions and permissions are summed up as new user roles are added.

Solutions:

1. Having at least 3 user roles.
   a) Default user role.
  b) user role Free
  c) premium user role

Make all widgets invisible to default user role.
Make some widgets visible only to "Free" user role.
Make some widgets visible only to "Premium" user role.

This way when user originally registers on your site, he can't see any widgets. When admin manually adds one or the other user role to this user, he will be able to see only needed widgets.

Disadvantage of this solution: everything needs to be done manually.

2. Solution given here http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7897?page=2#post-39324 .

BUT if you do have "Paid Membership" plugin, restricted view feature should have worked another way. Joseph, since you do have Paid Membership plugin, you should contact plugin developer with this issue. Ideally, users who upgraded to "Gold" should not have seen widgets designed for "Free" user role.
Joseph
Joseph Apr 12 '13
yes I did a test payment on my site with paid membership plugin making my test account a "premium" user and when i returned to my main index page I still see widgets only free unpaid users should see this is not a paid membership issue its a oxwall issue since oxwall makes teh default user role unremovable
Alia Team
Alia Apr 15 '13
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
Joseph
Joseph Sep 2 '13
and no answer to this yet the paid memberships are not removing the original role as it should
You do not have permission to reply this topic