We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Music Theory for beginners (violinist) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded

My son (12 y.o.) would like to learn some basic lesson in music theory that will help him complement his intonation, phrasing, etc. He learns very basic music theory from violin teacher and a pianist who would accompany him for recitals etc. He knows basic intervals like 3rd, 6th, octaves, etc. from playing the scales, but say.. if he play a certain passage from a piece, he wouldn't necessarily knows what is the harmony of the passage (is it minor? major? what is the chord?). As I understand it, it will help with phrasing, understanding which part of the score is tension v.s. resolution, etc. (yes, he needs to learn basic musical terms as well beyond dynamic markings, etc.)

We welcome suggestions either online programs, books, self-study, apps, videos/YouTube, summer camps (??) etc. so long as it can be applied to his violin playing. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Jeremy Blake
Jeremy Blake Jul 29
There's classical theory and then there's theory for everyone else. The latter is more accessible and just as useful in my opinion as long as it's done right -- not watered down. Check out the Beato Book. It's written by Rick Beato, a rock guitarist with a huge following on YouTube. So, some of the book is definitely directed toward guitarists, but the basic concepts are all there.
If you have even a cheap digital keyboard that your child can noodle around on, wearing headphones of course, that's a plus because theory then becomes visual and it will translate back to the violin just fine.
Rajesh Rajpo
Rajesh Rajpo Jul 29
For a young violinist like your son, learning more music theory can really boost his playing. But sounds like he already knows intervals and scales, which is great. To help him go further, some online programs and resources could make learning theory more fun. One site that I found really useful is https://www.artmaster.com/. This can really complement his violin playing.
The Forum post is edited by Rajesh Rajpo Aug 5
Ania Queen
Ania Queen Aug 4

Event lighting can transform any venue and create the perfect ambiance for your event. Boston Event Lighting Rentals offer a variety of options, including uplighting, spotlights, and custom gobo projections, to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your event space. Professional lighting services ensure that your event looks spectacular and leaves a lasting impression.

The Forum post is edited by Ania Queen Aug 4