We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

HMAS Armidale | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martina Perez
Martina Perez Aug 12
Something a bit different but I think maybe  in Herman's wheelhouse (pun very much intended).

Some years ago a friend was selling a 1/32 (or 1/35 memory fails), fiberglass hull for an Australian Armidale class patrol boat. It had plans and about 600 photos with it. The hull had some work done but nothing major. An excellent project for some time in the future. The hull was a one off as the mould was destroyed getting the hull out

Money changed hands an the hull went up I to the rafters of my garage. A friend agreed to build it in exchange for some tank stuff but that sadly fell through. It languished there gathering dust and detritus half a decade.

Last year a friend mentioned he had traded a typhoon submarine to a chap in Scotland in exchange for building him a model of HMS lion. The chap is the proprietor of Skye model boats. I offered up my part built Engel akula submarine in exchange for finishing the armidale. He accepted and the rest is history.

The model is fully scratch built (with the exception of the hull) from brass, styrene wood etc. The only 3d printed element will be the 50cals which are commercial prints

The models nearly 1.8m long and stands 80cm high on its stand.
The hull as I got it and after work started in Scotland. The hull required bracing and straightening as it had warped slightly in storage. The deck, hull details and rudders were added.
Norman Fallan
Norman Fallan Aug 12
That looks rather cool. Are you sure about it being 80cm high?
Sheryl Sorman
Sheryl Sorman Aug 12
That’s a fascinating project! It’s amazing how these things evolve over time. I had a similar experience with a model of the clipper cutty sark. I picked up a kit years ago with grand plans to build it, but it ended up sitting on a shelf for quite a while.Eventually, I found a local modeler who was keen on finishing it, and it turned out beautifully. Seeing it fully assembled and displayed was incredibly rewarding. Your Armidale class patrol boat sounds like it’s going to be an impressive piece. It’s cool to see how your project found its way to someone who could finish it. The mix of brass, styrene, and wood must make for a stunning model.