We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Hog Hunting With Shotgun - What Shells to Use? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
idayrare corded
I need your wise cousel!

I'm interested in hunting hogs with a shotgun but have no idea what shells to use. I never really considered using my shotguns for anything other than bird hunting, and after a recent quail hunt, I'd like to use them for a hog hunt. I have an over/under 20ga and semiauto 12ga.

Important to note that my intent is to keep the meat rather than just killing the hogs. Meat retention is key. I'm thinking that head shots would allow me to achieve this.

When looking at public land, some areas allow slugs and sabots, while others do not. Not sure what performance difference is between the slugs and sabots. Other than slugs, what else is suitable for harvesing the hogs at some distance? What's the reasonable max distance? I wouldn't think to use chokes with slugs but are they? What chokes to use if using something other than slugs?

As you can see, I am at a complete loss and need your help!

In summary, I'd like to hunt hogs at varying distance and want to keep the meat and need help with the shotgun setup.

Thanks in advance!
MaisieRowe
MaisieRowe Aug 13
Buckshot is always good but about 40 yards is a max shot. If you think you will be making 30 to 100 yard shots then a slug is what you need. The 2 or 3 times I hunted with a shotgun for pigs my first shot was a slug with buckshot as the next few shots to try to get them as they run.

Saving the meat is your problem. You will have to figure that out on your own.

Personally I prefer an AR but some hunts don't allow it so the AR12 comes out.
Claudette Leanna
For your 20ga and 12ga shotguns, slugs are a solid choice for distance and accuracy. Slugs are designed for longer-range shooting and have better stopping power than birdshot. Sabots can be even more precise but might not be legal in all areas. I found that for hogs, head shots are definitely the way to go for preserving meat, as you mentioned.

When hunting in areas that allow slugs, you can usually use improved cylinder or cylinder chokes. With sabots, a tighter choke can improve accuracy. For distances, slugs are effective up to 100 yards or so, depending on your setup.

I stumbled upon https://410shotgunshells.com while looking for more shell options and found it helpful for getting a sense of what might work best for different situations. If you need more details or specific recommendations, this site might have some useful info.