We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Old safe | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Kate Rose
Kate Rose Aug 23

I'm looking at getting an old safe. Being given to me if I want. I've always liked them and wouldn't mind setting in corner in my home office. But I question if too heavy for the floor.

It's about 40" tall x 19" deep x 26" wide. Called locksmith to inquire about getting locks added back as they've been pulled. They said could easily weigh 600 lbs plus. Google shows 150-200+ per foot in height. Some things say could be more.

My house is 1915 craftsman bungalow, so good old wood with solid hardwood floor. Oak in one room(living). pine or fir in my office.

What's too heavy?

Alexia Gold
Alexia Gold Aug 23
I have a safe that is bigger and lined with fire resistant cementitious material and it has a 5-number combination lock. It weighs around 1100 lbs. so I put it in my cellar. I bought it a few decades ago at an auction then gave a guy who bought a fork lift 20 bucks to put it on my trailer.
Alex Bess
Alex Bess Aug 23
I'm intrigued by the prospect of an old safe, but I'm worried about the potential weight causing issues with your floors. The dimensions and weight estimate you mentioned are quite substantial. Before deciding, I'd recommend consulting a structural engineer or contractor to assess the load-bearing capacity of your floors. I also guess that honeywell safes customer service might also be able to provide additional guidance on safe placement and installation.
The Forum post is edited by Alex Bess Aug 23