We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Missing config setting. Join process not working [SOLVED] | Forum

Shane
Shane Apr 29 '13

I have been working on my Oxwall application and was ready to deploy with my application from my test server to my production application and database servers.

Unfortunately I set neither of them up. 

On the Test server the join process behaves as I expect, the user presses join, and is then navigated from the join page to the email verify page/form, at which time the verification email is sent. Everyone is happy.

To migrate the application to production I zipped up the application files and took a sqldump of the MySQL data. I then unzipped the application code to the file directory of the production application server and created the database from the sqldump.

However I have uncovered a problem on the production application server in the join/sign up process.

It first manifested itself via Captcha. It was producing a Captcha validation error, with every entry and was not allowing new users to join.

I then removed the Captcha section from the join forms. This removed the Captcha error. Now users could join with errors but the main page would just reload and not navigate away to the email verify page/form. Oxwall does continue to produce the verify email, but users are left wondering, as there is no clear progression from the join/page.

Does this navigation pattern resonate with any particular module I have set on the production server.? 

I can get my hands on DEV_MODE and DEBUG messages

The Forum post is edited by Shane Apr 30 '13
Shane
Shane Apr 29 '13

These are the Debug messages I get when loading the join page

Top of page

OW Debug - Warning

Message: session_start(): open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_bcmfdk9vsshc620cjcviegisl1, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

File: /var/www/social.intranet/htdocs/ow_core/session.php

Line: 83

Bottom of page

OW Debug - Warning

Message: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_bcmfdk9vsshc620cjcviegisl1, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

File: Unknown

Line: 0

OW Debug - Warning

Message: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/session)

Shane
Shane Apr 29 '13
Quote from Shane Magee

These are the Debug messages I get when loading the join page

Top of page

OW Debug - Warning

Message: session_start(): open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_bcmfdk9vsshc620cjcviegisl1, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

File: /var/www/social.intranet/htdocs/ow_core/session.php

Line: 83

Bottom of page

OW Debug - Warning

Message: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php/session/sess_bcmfdk9vsshc620cjcviegisl1, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

OW Debug - Warning

Message: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/session)

error explained
it appears that the server group user set to root:root on this production server whereas the test server was set to root:apache. And this was the problem. Once the session directory was changed the join process was as expected.
The Forum post is edited by Shane Apr 30 '13