We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall offline | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Michael
Michael May 4 '13
I've noticed oxwall has been offline quite a lot recently, is this due to the new host i.e cloudflare or is there another reason for it?
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Yes. It's quite often that the site gets offline.

BTW, Micheal, cloudfare is not a host. Its a CDN service.

Alia Team
Alia May 6 '13
Michael, we have been migrating only 1 day only last week. Everything should be settled and working.
Alia Team
Alia May 6 '13
Would be great if you could report exactly when the site was down.
Michael
Michael May 6 '13
Ok I'll report it in future with a bit more info, its often down when I come to visit now :( For example its been down about 5 times over the past week with yesterday being the most recent.

bobbi
bobbi May 6 '13
yes the site has been down often in the last couple weeks, usally showing the cloudflare message to say the site is offline retry for live version
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from bobbi yes the site has been down often in the last couple weeks, usally showing the cloudflare message to say the site is offline retry for live version

Yes. It lasts 5 mins or so. Sometimes even more.
Donamix
Donamix May 6 '13
I am having an error, it's weird how this happened.

I did not do anything, i was sleeping then when i woke up i saw this.

The Forum post is edited by Donamix May 6 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Donamix,

Don't hijack this thread as its not related to your issue :D :P

This is about oxwall.org site.
dave Leader
dave May 30 '13

yeah i heard that Oxwall was working with cloudflare to resolve the issues last week, looks like cloudflare team is on  top of it  NOT!

502 Bad Gateway

cloudflare-nginx

dave Leader
dave May 31 '13

Not too good, for awhile now.

504 Gateway Time-out

cloudflare-nginx
ross Team
ross Jun 3 '13
Guys, 

Thank you for the report. We are working with that problem. We'll try to solve it asap. 

dave Leader
dave Jun 5 '13
Sorry i just have to bust on cloudflare lol...   well over an hour almost two im sure.

look at my comments in the pic lol... im so bad

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 5 '13
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jun 5 '13
Cloudfare has made oxwall.org go down longer than it ever has before. I think they should switch back to not using it.

ross Team
ross Jun 5 '13

Guys, 

Sorry for inconveniences, we'll try to take care of it asap

dave Leader
dave Jun 5 '13

Personally i think the biggest issue is that there are so many variations to running a server when it comes to scripts, changing technology, preferences.  How can one company do this for so many customers with different requirements and different configs,  when it takes a whole team just to maintain a basic full fledge hosting company with the advantage of having most everything under one set of configs. 

I dont pretend to know it all, i certainly dont.  But when i read cloudflares claims even i thought ok sounds way out there but maybe they have a system in place.   I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But now that i have see it for myself, its just as i suspected.  Maybe this is good for the run of the mill basic/standard set up, but someone with special needs, sorry i just cant see how CF would have the manpower or the tech to do this with all the different variations of customers needs.

bobbi
bobbi Jun 7 '13

site down around 40 mins maybe  more,
dave Leader
dave Jun 7 '13
yeah getting quite rediculous huh.  hope someone can get a handle on this.
bobbi
bobbi Jun 7 '13
this forum goes dowm more than wall.fm does,  get rid of the cloud flare ........
Mark Atkinson
Mark Atkinson Jun 7 '13
Agreed...I only joined yesterday after discovering Oxwall 2 days ago. It's been down three times with the same as the above image since I discovered it so going down daily doesn't look professional. People less knowledgeable who may not visit the forum  may start thinking it's Oxwall itself that's not stable & that's not good so I'd get shut of Cloudflare if it were my site. The irony of it is, there is never a cached copy so the service doesn't even work as it should so agreed, if it were mine, I'd definitely lose it!