We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Instant Chat Problem :( | Forum

Owen Bick
Owen Bick May 5 '13
I have a problem. The chat works, like I get alerted and such, but sometimes when I'm chatting it won't send the message, or will take 5 minutes to send it. This is a problem that I don't want spreading across my website.

Owen Bick

Tan Wire Founder and CEO

Alia Team
Alia May 7 '13
Owen,  seems like a tricky issue and almost impossible to reproduce.
By "won't send" you mean, userA types the message, hits "enter"/send but the message doesn't appear in the chat box? Or message get's sent but userB doesn't receive it/or receives after 5 mins?

Owen Bick
Owen Bick May 8 '13
userA types the message, hits "enter"/send but the message doesn't appear in the chat box
Adrian
Adrian May 8 '13
this is a problem we have also ... especially if chat is busy with multiple users. Quite often I have to retype the message again ... then the remote user receives it twice a few minutes later. Is chat linked with a Cron Job??

Adi
Owen Bick
Owen Bick May 8 '13

Quote from Adrian this is a problem we have also ... especially if chat is busy with multiple users. Quite often I have to retype the message again ... then the remote user receives it twice a few minutes later. Is chat linked with a Cron Job??

Adi
I have the same problem. I want it to be awesome like Facebook where it isn't slow. 

Alia Team
Alia May 10 '13
Instant chat pings the server every 5 seconds. If new messages are available on the server>>chat pulls those messages and shows to the other user.

Other Oxwall plugins ping server as well. For example, update user activity, notifications,invitations, mailbox,friend requests. They have their own ping times. So mailbox might ping every 3 seconds, friend request every 2 second. And as a result you end up with pings happening almost every second.

Two things can cause the delay in message delivery:
1. server's capacity/settings
2. number of users online.

Oxwall can't control both.  I guess why we can't control server settings is quite obvious and there is no need for further explanations.

With the second one, Oxwall uses ajax based chat. And ajax technique itself tend to slow down with a lot of users being online at the same time. So we can't control this as well.

>>Is chat linked with a Cron Job??

Message sending/delivery - is not linked to CRON. Whether user is available for chat or not (online/offline) depends on CRON.