We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

worth mentioning on cron | Forum

dave Leader
dave May 7 '13

I thought it was worth mentioning that on the cron examples you see in the documention and other places on the net such as this example.

wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.yoursite.com/ow_cron/run.php

that there may not be an -O (or -o) option on your server.   When i ran the -O it came back and said that there was no such option so i just went with the standard

php -q  /home/username/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

also a reminder that you want to remove the -q when you first set this up so that you will get the email (assuming you have put an email in the notify block of the cron setup page).  One you get the email open it and make sure everything looks ok and no errors.  Then put the -q back... -q is for quiet mode so that you dont get an email each time it runs.

hope this helps :)

Purusothaman Ramanujam
-q mode is all about stop generating dummy files each time. Correct me if I am wrong.
dave Leader
dave May 9 '13
From my understanding it just stops the output logging and header output, which means that if your script does not send anything to the output such as php echo or php print then you wont get anything when it runs, no email no nothing.   Thats why its important to leave the -q off at first and run a test and take a look at the email to make sure everything ran fine, then stick the -q back in there. 
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Got it. Thanks.