We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Mailbox and Notifications not appearing on user toolbar | Forum

Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 16 '13
Hi Oxwall dudes.

I have recently upgraded my web site to 1.5.3 and Oxwall is more or less working perfectly for the first time since installing it.

However, the only thing wrong is that the "Mailbox" and "Notifications" buttons are not showing on the user toolbar. I have checked that the plugins are active and working, and they seem to be correctly configured.

I am also missing the "Allow status updates" option in the "Permissions->Roles" page, although the site is allowing me and other users to add status updates as far as I can tell.

I have a testing site where I make sure everything works before rolling it to the main site, and the screenshots attached below are a comparison of the toolbars on the main and test sites - as you will see the test site shows the missing buttons, yet there was no difference in the process on both sites.

I have tried to update the "Notifications" plugin since updating the site, and each time I try I end up with error 500s on the site (even after ow_updates) and have to roll the update back by removing the "notifications" plugin folder and restoring the old backed up version. My thought on this is that it's possible the plugins are stuck in an old version and thus causing problems, but I can't update.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Attachments:
  2013-05-16 bftest_toolbar.png (1.47Kb)
  2013-05-16 bfmain_toolbar.png (1.13Kb)
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '13
>>However, the only thing wrong is that the "Mailbox" and "Notifications" buttons are not showing on the user toolbar.

Enable DEBUG mode in cofig.php (http://docs.oxwall.org/plugin-tuts:enable-debug) and try updating your plugins. What do you get instead of 500 error?

>>I am also missing the "Allow status updates" option in the "Permissions->Roles" page, although the site is allowing me and other users to add status updates as far as I can tell.

Do you have "Newsfeed" plugin up to date?
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 22 '13
Thanks for getting back to me. 

I don't think that the newsfeed plugin is up to date, no. When I try to update the files by directly FTPing them up to the correct location I get the error as noted above.

Now that the debug mode is on, when I upload the updated files I get the following when trying to access the site:

OW Debug

NoticeMessage:Undefined index: 7

File:<path>/ow_plugins/newsfeed/components/feed_list.php

Line:111

OW Debug - Error

Message:Argument 1 passed to NEWSFEED_CMP_FeedItem::__construct() must be an instance of NEWSFEED_CLASS_Action, null given, called in <path>/ow_plugins/newsfeed/components/feed_list.php on line 117 and defined

File:<path>/ow_plugins/newsfeed/components/feed_item.php

Line:53

EDIT: I've also updated your registration on the site to make you a full member.

The Forum post is edited by Dave Hughes May 22 '13
Alia Team
Alia May 23 '13
Dave did customize the source code of the newsfeed plugin in past?
Try enabling DEV mode same way you did with DEBUG and check again.
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 23 '13

Thanks for the feedback - I have not modified the source code for the newsfeeds.

Well, I enabled DEV and DEBUG mode, then copied the files across for the newsfeed plugin. For the first time, the admin panel allowed me to update the database, and now the comments are working. I'm not sure if it's related.

My admin panel pages give me the following messages though:

OW Debug - Warning

Message:unlink(<path>/ow_userfiles/themes/aerialplusplus519ddfe15204d.css) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory

File:<path>/ow_system_plugins/base/classes/file_storage.php

Line:81

OW Debug - Warning

Message:copy(<path>/ow_static/themes/crayon/theme_preview.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

File:<path>/ow_system_plugins/base/bol/theme_service.php

Line:329

OW Debug - Warning

Message:copy(<path>/ow_static/themes/crayon/theme.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Line:335

OW Debug - Warning

Message:copy(<path>/ow_static/themes/crayon/base.css) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Line:343

The Forum post is edited by Dave Hughes May 23 '13
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 23 '13
Apologies for the double post. Since this process worked, I tried the same process to repair the missing Notifications button. Copying the files over, running ow_update and going to the admin panel resulted in this message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OW Debug - ExceptionMessage:SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'butterfliesadhd.ow_notifications_notification' doesn't existFile:<path>/ow_core/database.phpLine:331Trace:#0 <path>/ow_core/database.php(331): PDOStatement->execute()#1 <path>/ow_core/database.php(359): OW_Database->execute('SELECT COUNT(*)...', Array)#2 <path>/ow_core/base_dao.php(101): OW_Database->queryForColumn('SELECT COUNT(*)...', Array, 0, Array)#3 <path>/ow_plugins/notifications/bol/notification_dao.php(141): OW_BaseDao->countByExample(Object(OW_Example))#4 <path>/ow_plugins/notifications/bol/service.php(237): NOTIFICATIONS_BOL_NotificationDao->findNotificationCount(1, false)#5 <path>/ow_plugins/notifications/classes/console_bridge.php(128): NOTIFICATIONS_BOL_Service->findNotificationCount(1, false)#6 <path>/ow_core/event_manager.php(188): NOTIFICATIONS_CLASS_ConsoleBridge->ping(Object(BASE_CLASS_ConsoleDataEvent))#7 <path>/ow_system_plugins/base/classes/console_event_handler.php(114): OW_EventManager->trigger(Array, Object(BASE_CLASS_ConsoleDataEvent))#8 <path>/ow_core/event_manager.php(188): BASE_CLASS_ConsoleEventHandler->ping(Object(BASE_CLASS_ConsoleDataEvent))#9 <path>/ow_system_plugins/base/components/console.php(108): OW_EventManager->trigger(Object(OW_Event))#10 <path>/ow_core/renderable.php(227): BASE_CMP_Console->onBeforeRender(Array, Object(OW_Event))#11 <path>/ow_core/component.php(80): OW_Renderable->render(Object(OW_Event))#12 <path>/ow_smarty/plugin/function.component.php(46): OW_Component->render()#13 <path>/ow_smarty/template_c/38f0c8ae060d8d4afc4b30fd1e08026243ff2a44.file.admin.html.php(67): smarty_function_component()#14 <path>/ow_libraries/smarty3/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(180): content_519de544a4c726_32895764()#15 <path>/ow_core/view_renderer.php(101): Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->fetch()#16 <path>/ow_core/renderable.php(263): OW_ViewRenderer->renderTemplate(Array, Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))#17 <path>/ow_core/html_document.php(601): OW_Renderable->render(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))#18 <path>/ow_core/response.php(184): OW_HtmlDocument->render('/home/linweb01/...')#19 <path>/ow_core/application.php(429): OW_Response->respond('/home/linweb01/...')#20 <path>/index.php(83): OW_Application->returnResponse()#21 {main}Type:PDOException

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to manually create the ow_notifications_notification table before the admin panel would reload. It's now working fine.

Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 23 '13
Again, apologies for double posting.

I've spent the day manually uploading the update files and following the above process, and I'm happy to report that the updates seem to have finally taken hold. The main issue seems to have been with the missing table mentioned above, and once that was resolved the rest of the updates processed fine. There were several error messages that appeared when the site was accessed the first time after an update, but a refresh resolved those issues straight away.

I am concerned, however, that the site seems to be running very slowly. I am not sure if it is an issue with the ISP or if it is Oxwall (as the Oxwall installation is the only one there) but will keep an eye on it.

The only issue I have now is that the status update and comments interface has a fault with the photo and video buttons - they seem out of alignment and showing a hyperlink icon too. Almost as if an image strip is out of alignment - see attached file. As the test site is working fine, do you have any hints about this please?

Thanks for your help so far.

Attachments:
  photovideocorruption.png (8.21Kb)
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes May 24 '13
Another update on this - the hosting ISP have now shut down my site saying that there has been an unacceptable spike in the traffic originating from my site. This could be due to the ongoing maintenance, but they are saying something to do with the code is maxing out the server's internet link.

Any ideas?

Alia Team
Alia May 28 '13
Dave,

>>the status update and comments interface has a fault with the photo and video buttons

Seems like you have resolved this issue.
Buttons look ok now:

If you are still seeing the issue, might be browser related.  I have checked in Firefox.

Regarding site speed, bellow are the tools that might help you to figure our what is causing this:

1. enable RROFILER in config.php.
Bar will appear at the bottom of your site and you will be able to see number of running queries and other data:

2.install any debug tool for your browser ( usually Chrome comes with it by default).  I use Firebug for Firefox. It shows a lot of useful info. Pay attention to the time each "post" takes.

3. Your host should also have some kind of tool to track what exactly is taking too much resources. I suggest checking with them as well. Get more detailed info from them.