We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Group Forums Newsfeed | Forum

matt
matt May 26 '13
Hi,

So I have a group set to 'Who can view - By invitation only'

But, when someone in this 'private' group posts a forum topic in the group forum, the users newsfeed (in profile) displays the post and the first lines of the (should be) private posting.

This issue has come up in a plugin before. I contacted the dev, who said this was the way that oxwall worked.

Can we please have group view permissions that work, as a matter of urgency?

Kind thanks,

Matt
matt
matt May 27 '13
Anyone care to comment?

:)

Matt
Steve Winter
Steve Winter May 27 '13
That sounds like a serious defect.
Alia Team
Alia May 28 '13
Matt, if user is member of the "private" group it is logical that newsfeed on his dashboard shows activities related to that group.

I have tested and unless you are a group member, you won't be getting any items in newsfeed related to that group.
matt
matt May 28 '13
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

This is not how its working on our site. Non group users can see the private group forum posts  and the truncated description and only get the privacy when they click on the forum post link.

No good! To say the least. So what to do now?

Thanks,

Matt
matt
matt May 28 '13
Any pointers to documentation or support?
matt
matt May 28 '13
Or the usual, getting ignored?
Alia Team
Alia May 29 '13
Matt, what is your site URL?
matt
matt May 29 '13
Documentation and pointers is what we need Aliia.

dave Leader
dave May 29 '13

matt, i wanted to test this myself since i am new to oxwall.   I created a group as admin and set it to invite only and participants can invite.   The i made a test forum post as admin in the group.

Then i logged in on another browser as a normal user and went to groups,  and i cannot see my private group on the list at all. 

Must be something on you end, and ill try to figure out what by doing some tests here

The Forum post is edited by dave May 29 '13
matt
matt May 29 '13
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. I would assume its something at my end. However, after the upgrade to teh latest version. My site is mostly vanilla. I have made no code changes to groups, notifications or newsfeed. So am looking to find out what functions are involved, so I can eliminate any errors from other plugins.

cheers,

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 29 '13

np :)   this is what i know so far, some of this you may have done but im just laying out what i know as my sites are new as well.

1.  in admin>plugins>installed plugins>groups>settings>additional features, you choose to add the forum to your groups.  Then i also took the check mark off the option to allow users to customize that page.

2.  in admin>pages>groups>edit   you take the checkmark off the guests box.

3. admin>pivacy&permissions>roles   i have three, guest, member, admin.   nothing is checked for guest accept links.

4. admin>user>user_roles   i have member default  and admin

5.  admin>pages>dashboard  

&  profile both..   

i took the check mark off of the allow members to customize page option on the bottom.

6.  On the user side of the site go to main and choose customize this page.  Then select the gear icon for each widget (settings) and on the botton of that window you will see the restict view option.   Do this for every widget there. 

That should do it, i mean thats how i have mine set up.

matt
matt May 29 '13
Thanks Dave, That very helpful. Thats basically the same way I do things. I seem to have located the Error down to one user.

When I, as a member of the private group post, the newsfeed item doesnt show for non group members. But when one particular user posts, it does. At least I am getting warm :)

Thanks for you help!

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 29 '13

YW yep sounds like your about to pounce on it.. :)

matt
matt May 29 '13
Lol, the fix, was not really a fix. I went to teh DB and changed the group view permissions manually to the same values they already were. And now it behaves correctly. Very strange....

Cheers Dave!

Matt
dave Leader
dave May 29 '13

So glad you got it... nice.. yep that is wierd.   I have one of my tables on my other site (not oxwall) that does the same thing.   Its a coupon table and right out of the blue it will get funky for no reason and i will have to drop and restore the table.  I have 4 sites with the same exact install and it only happens to this one site and this one table.   Yep sometimes this business is not as logical as it is suppose to be... can drive ya nuts..

Good going :)

Alia Team
Alia Jun 4 '13
Matt, I am lost )). Have no idea why this could have happened to this one particular user.
If you face the same issue in future with another user can you check his preferences?

dave Leader
dave Aug 26 '13
Just wanted to link this because similar issue, so please check this post as well http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12823