We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Help. My website is under attack | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Obiri Mokini
Obiri Mokini May 27 '13
Hello, please i need your help, my website is under some kind of attack. Inside the welcome text is a link to a site. I don't know how this link got in there. The same link appeared on the members profile. I tried all i knew to get rid of the links but failed. I had to hide the welcome message and the members away from public. Please i need your help. What can i do?
The Forum post is edited by Obiri Mokini May 27 '13
dave Leader
dave May 27 '13

Very first thing is open your cPanel (or plesk)  and look at your error log and see if someone is running a script, it will be obvious, look for strange behavior such as alot of file not founds from one ip or a group of ip's

You may also want to take the site offline if you dont have alot of members or if noone is online now till you get the ip's taken care of 

Then block that IP by using ip deny feature  (make sure it is not your ip first)  There may be several ip you need to block.  This will keep them out a then we can do repairs.

Make sure you have  deny all  set up in your htaccess for both the htaccess and the php ini file.

What is your site url ?

The Forum post is edited by dave May 27 '13
dave Leader
dave May 27 '13

if it is the one in your profile then you have many members online so you prob should not take it offline.   Can you show us a screen shot of the welcome and the members profile?   It would help.

The Forum post is edited by dave May 27 '13
Obiri Mokini
Obiri Mokini May 27 '13
Thank you very much for the quick attention, I have reported the issue to the host and it has been taken care of. I have put the welcome text and the members list back.

Again, thank you very much.

The Forum post is edited by Obiri Mokini May 27 '13
dave Leader
dave May 27 '13
YW :)  glad you got it taken care of...
Alia Team
Alia May 28 '13
Obiri, do you mind sharing what have caused this?
Obiri Mokini
Obiri Mokini Jun 8 '13
I was just trying to log into my website and spotted that there was some kind of advertisement link that i had not inserted. it was linked to a dating site. If i pointed mouse on it, it shows the site but i refused to click on it. I did not know what to do and rushed here to call for help. I did what Dave advised me to do and reported also to my host. They told me they would have a quick check. After few minutes i checked to see if it was still there but I was right.  I was mad. I called my host again and they told me there was no threat again. But I could see the link still on the welcome page and on the member page.

I called a friend and asked him to give a look at my website. He looked and told me he saw nothing like that on the website.

I did not believe him because i was looking directly at this link on the website. I called another person to look. he told me the same thing that he could not see any such link.

I left my computer and went out to cafe. i looked at my website but the link was not there.

Why was it appearing on my computer?

This is what i later discovered:

The link that appeared on my site was inserted there through a certain website that looks more like a google chrome but it was not google chrome it was a fake. 

Yes, this was how i discovered it:

I clicked google chrome again and when it opened i saw that the website that opened was actually not google chrome. It was a fake and under it was a big advertisement banner.

I copied the name and searched the net and discovered that a lot of people have got different experience about it. I read some tutorials on how to get rid of it and I am glad i was able to get rid of this monster. 

Again, thank you all for your kind support.

bilalsonija
bilalsonija Jan 20
This time around Stu is getting married to a young Asian beauty named Lauren (Jamie Chung), who’s father completely disapproves of him. khuyến mãi 789club