We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Spam users | Forum

Lee
Lee Jun 1 '13
Spam users join my site everyday, I don't want them to be able to enter my site.  If I deletes Oxwall software (the entire site) from my hosting service account and re-install Oxwall software to my hosting service account but still use the same domain is that will help me to get away from those spam users or not?

If anyone have any ideas please help me. 

Great_Day
Great_Day Jun 2 '13
no, it won't. You will have to ban the spammers manual by IP address true CPanel. Google for a how to...

Edit: to find the IP address you need to install a plugin which is listed here on oxwal.org

The Forum post is edited by Great_Day Jun 2 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jun 2 '13

USER IP TRACKER | PLUGIN

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/239

I bought this and it works great.

If you use Cloudflare then you can block IPs or IP ranges or whole countries.

Lee
Lee Jun 2 '13
Thanks.

Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 3 '13
Do you have Watchdog plugin installed? Doesn't it help?
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '13
The problem with watchdog is that sometimes the server gets overloaded and or just times out, everytime i have ever tried to fire up watchdog it gives me an error that it timed out. so i turned if off...   I dont know if this is a watchdog issue or a oxwall issue or both.. 
Lee
Lee Jun 3 '13
I haven't, I will install Watchdog. 
bobbi
bobbi Jun 3 '13
i wouldnt touch watcdog or any plugin which uses stopforrumspam we used watchdog once and it spammed every member including me who used a mobile phone or any form of mobile internet plus a member from singapore, i was constantly  adding ip addresses to the white list a pain especially as a lot of the ips were dynamic,

we dont use any form of ip blocking plug in, cloudflre or anything else just the humble user approve and i added the question are you a spammer with a drop down answer choice,

i cant remember the last time i removed a spammer, it was that long ago (bet i get loads now i have said that)
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '13
lol yep bobbi they will be after you now lol...
bobbi
bobbi Jun 3 '13
the phrase speak too soon comes to mind lol, they are coming for the site .........

if i get spaamers now i will know the source of where they come from lol
The Forum post is edited by bobbi Jun 3 '13
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '13

And the chase is on lol...