We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Add a friend when profile privacy is friends only | Forum

Anna
Anna Jun 8 '13
Sorry for my English!

I installed the privacy plugin and it works perfect, but I have a serious problem. Let's say for example, user A has chosen to have his profile "friends only". Then user B cannot see his profile, but if he knows user A in real life, he maybe wants to add him as friend and have his profile unlock. How can I allow users having the button "add as friend" even if they have chosen "only friend" in privacy?

Please tell me as soon as possible.. I am desperate!!

Thank you.

(In the picture you can see what i'm seeing when i go in a profile that is friends only. There are no buttons to add this as a friend!!!)

Attachments:
  why.png (24.22Kb)
Anna
Anna Jun 9 '13
Please anyone???? I need to know, it's very important to me...
dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13
its is quite simple, user A will have to initiate the process, it is done this way for a reason. And that is that if user A does not want anyone but friends to see them, then they have a reason for this and so User A will have to add User B in such a case.
dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13
User A is basically saying,  "i will control who is my frend and who is not"  
Anna
Anna Jun 9 '13
I am not sure I understood. For example, If User A wants only his friends can see his profile, AND user B wants the same, BUT they find each other in the site, then they want to be friends, but no one can send invitation to other...

In my site the profile has very sensitive information, so almost everyone will turn his profile into "only friends". But they want to make friends.

What am I going to do? Isn't there a way to manually do so? Which files have I to change?

Thank you.

dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13

It would take some special coding to do what you want i believe.  And would require a coder to do this as this would be a special project.   It sounds like you are using the preferences beyond there intended scope the way it is now.  But i do see your point and i do see that it could be an issue.  I do agree there needs to be a happy medium.

Basically they have locked each other out and if one does not give in then they are both blocked, its a preferences standoff.

The only thing i might suggest is that they make one day of the week, "new friend day"  and change their preferences for that one day to allow everyone.  Then they can go back.

That is all can think of at the moment.   If you want a special coder check out the "market" link in the menu above on this page.

Anna
Anna Jun 9 '13
Oh I see... Ugly news... :(

So I have to find someone who is a coder...

How I can post to market? I signed up at "odesk" and I choose "post a job to odesk" but it sends me to make my profile as a coder! I cannot find where I have to go to post a job for someone else to do.

dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13
You will need to log into the client side of odesk.  In the market page click on anyones name and then you will see a big green button that says post a job.   That will take you to the client side registration and login.
dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13

Just log into your account from that odesk page page and then you can post a job from the menu available.

dave Leader
dave Jun 9 '13
Basically i think what you want to post as the job is having someone add a "add friend" button that is not affected by the preferences at all.  They still wont be able to see the profile by they might just see a name and the addfriend link.
The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 9 '13
Alia Team
Alia Jun 10 '13
Thanks for helping Dave.