We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Got rid of all spammers! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jun 14 '13
Changed my domain name. bam! maybe we should check into masking a new domain name as a solution. Anyone care to try it out?
dave Leader
dave Jun 14 '13
So you are having to pay for two domain names now ?  Or are you just using htaccess rewrite to mask your current domain name?
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jun 15 '13
well I had to switch a domain name to something new. Oxwallaccessories.com  became owaccessories.com. So in this case I did purchase a new name. but I would like to see if others can mess around and find a better solution.
Paul M.
Paul M. Jun 15 '13
I think whatever script is being used for spam sigups is just using the search engines to find oxwall sites. I'm guessing it wont be long until your new domain name is getting spammed. I'm thinking there is something common in the head or maybe the inline styles that's being used to search for. I know that's how a lot of spam scripts find joomla sites to target.

I ended up just blocking India. You sell products though so that probably wouldn't work for you though.

The Forum post is edited by Paul M. Jun 15 '13
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13

+1 Paul,  i also think its a matter of time. The fact that you have no spam is just luck.

There are much smarter people out there than me working on this spam deal and if changing or masking the domain would do the trick the everyone would be doing that.  There is only one silver bullet to stop spam and that is to make spam unprofitable, if so they will close up shop and move to doing other things.

Other than that i dont see any cure but just due diligence to maintain some kind of controlled chaos.

Oxwall Accessories
Spoke too soon
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13
that bites OA sorry :(
Oxwall Accessories
Yea I was excited for a minute there. My biggest problem with the spam bots is that for you guys on shared hosting plans they can really clog up your site. 
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Accessories Jun 15 '13
new
new Jun 15 '13
needs to have some solution for that, if spam can take up all bandwidth or server usage on shared hosting, moving to new VPS is of no use. Who would want to move to VPS if one doesn't even able to make that much of money to pay for hosting itself.
Oxwall Accessories
Quote from new needs to have some solution for that, if spam can take up all bandwidth or server usage on shared hosting, moving to new VPS is of no use. Who would want to move to VPS if one doesn't even able to make that much of money to pay for hosting itself.

Exactly my point! Ill keep investigating and working with my host to find a resolution.   
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jun 15 '13
Quote from OxwallAccessories Yea I was excited for a minute there. My biggest problem with the spam bots is that for you guys on shared hosting plans they can really clog up your site. 

That can be the beauty of Cloudflare combined with the IP plugin and the anti spam plugin that is now sadly gone from the store.  In Cloudflare one can stop an amazing volume of spam by simply typing the word China in the block list.

Regards,

Steve

dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13
The issue with cloudflare is that your giving up control of your site in a big way and i think there has to be a better way than to do that.
Oxwall Accessories
I agree Dave. Not to mention we all see how much oxwall.org itself keeps going down since switching to cloudfare. There is just something about cloud services that I don't trust. 
new
new Jun 15 '13
One way might also be to let google crawl website only once a day, it too might save lots of server usage and bandwidth. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13
+1 OA
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13
lol new, good luck with that.  That is a whole new ballgame in itself. lol
new
new Jun 15 '13
i remember that happened with my previous website and talked to my host, they told that happened because google crawledwebsite too much, for that they advised to put google crawl website once a day or week depending upon the time in which you usually update your content. but yeah, it doesnt solve spam problem but it  helps a little. 
bobbi
bobbi Jun 15 '13
we dont use any anti spam plug ins, we dont use cloudflare or block any countries from entering the site and we still never get any spammers, we just use user approve but no spammers have joined for ages, cant remember the last time we had one, maybe we are just lucky lol
new
new Jun 15 '13
bobbi, you on shared hosting?
bobbi
bobbi Jun 15 '13
we are on a vps server i know of one other site on it with us, am not sure if anyone is though
Pages: 1 2 3 »