We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Got rid of all spammers! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jun 15 '13
Quote from OxwallAccessories I agree Dave. Not to mention we all see how much oxwall.org itself keeps going down since switching to cloudfare. There is just something about cloud services that I don't trust. 

Don't blame Cloudflare for simply reporting when oxwall.org goes down.

Cheers,

Steve

dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13

also new, you should probably be looking at taking that issue out of the equasion.  There are lots of companies out there that offer unlimited bandwidth.  IMO Bandwidth was a good way in the old days to offset some of the other free features but today with the competition and with servers having better quality and design, charging for bandwidth is becomming a thing of the past.

new
new Jun 15 '13
Yeah, i got it, i am too on unlimited bandwidth and was too, but it takes up a lot of server resources too.
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13

@steve   "Don't blame Cloudflare for simply reporting when oxwall.org goes down." 

Thats my point, there should be no report because:

1. They say they can supercharge a website, if so then the downtime should be very minimal at best.

2. They are suppose to provide a cached version of the site in the event something does happen. 

So the fact that the cloudflare page ends up right in our face when this happens and sometimes for hours at a time tells me there is something wrong with the painted picture.

Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jun 15 '13
@steve Before switching to cloudfare I don't think I ever saw the boards down! I cant begin to give an explanation as to why but cloudfare rubs me the wrong way.
bobbi
bobbi Jun 15 '13
i agree with oxwall accessories, this forum was rarely down until the cloudflare switch, but now it is down more than wall.fm
Oxwall Accessories
So yea we are getting a bit off topic here. Just my opinion here but if it has taken oxwall this long to find a solution then maybe they need to track this guy down and hire him to point out our security weaknesses. 
Oxwall Accessories
I would assume the ability to bypass our sign in process is a pretty huge security flaw for anyone trying to run a business on this software. Not to mention the bandwith that some of us have to pay for to make up for the issue. Its costing the community money and it also makes our community look bad to potential bloggers that were considering our script. 
new
new Jun 15 '13
@Ow. correct. they should work on it. In ning, spruz and alike,  its not easy for a bot to bypass sign up process easily. 
Oxwall Accessories
We should make a thread asking them to commit to this! It should be the very next thing that is sorted out after or even before the 1.6 update. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 15 '13

Why dont we get the spammers sites on cloudflare and then they will be down lol... hee hee

The Forum post is edited by dave Jun 15 '13
Oxwall Accessories
Quote from dave

Why dont we get the spammers sites on cloudflare and they they will be down lol... hee hee

lmfao Touche' 
Oxwall Accessories
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11512

lets all make this heard!

new
new Jun 18 '13
I used Smartcaptcha Pluggin and added questions and answers and tested it. There is no way spam account can get created. today i did not see any spam account in my site. Try it, and spam will be gone forever. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 18 '13

These are the keys to a well rounded and effective anti bot site management program.

1. Admin approve

2. Question captcha

3. A strong cPANEL ip deny and spam assassin procedure.

On all of my 27 websites i get an average of less than 1 bot a month and 1 live person spammer a month for all the sites combined, many months i get 0 and when i do get one it is usually on one of my WP blogs not on any other site.   But remember if you are going to be serious about blocking spam there is a downside to this way of doing it.

new
new Jun 18 '13
downside?
dave Leader
dave Jun 18 '13

This will shine a light on the downside..

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11064

Paul M.
Paul M. Jun 19 '13
Ah good call Jamie. I didn't think of checking wmt.
The Forum post is edited by Paul M. Jun 19 '13
new
new Jun 19 '13
From which place you did these change? and path so i can do it as well. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 19 '13
Im sure he is talking about the lang section in admin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »