We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The future of Oxwall | Forum

Anmar
Anmar Jun 27 '13

Hello everyone im new to Oxwall and I like it.

I believe it has strong potentials to become the leading open source social network.

I want to share with the community about few points hoping we could discuss it openly.

Soon Oxwall will reach to version 1.6 which is great. I have tested Oxwall on two beta sites 1 is a recommended host by Oxwall team the other 1 is normal shared hosting. When I used the recommended hosting I faced problems with email verification for new users which I summarized my experience in this post

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11829

As for the other host (not in the recommended hosts) I have faced many problems such as

Internal server errors, Video plugin does not except iframe …etc.

What I want to point out that many users face several problem when they want to create an independent site from all the other giants we face many difficulties. Oxwall team has developed oxwall system to assist the people to create their own social network and I thank the team.

Me highlighting these point for the propose to maybe that oxwall future does not require new features at the time been, with the current features its simply great.

What Oxwall future needs is to refactor its code and reexamine its architecture with a focus on its stability and reliability. (a great car without breaks its almost not useable)

-Issues like email verification for new users not working is considered hug problem.

-A new plugin can conflict with some of the system features which make some of oxwall features disfunction is also considered a problem.

-Also a very high attention on the different browser compatibility (I have noticed several posts in the forum which ends up the problem from the browser).

- Few other common issues do exist.

-The problems with RTL languages (My humble opinune is to add a CSS swicher based on the language choosen i know easy to say difficult to do) the RTL language issues will be solved for good. I did propose such feature in the Features Request section of the site.

Im pointing these things because Oxwall is growing and growing fast and I really see a potential for it and I hate to see it becoming buggy and problematic to install and maintain in the future.

I highlight these things because as the program grow the more difficult it will be to change or modify its core so most probably the programmers will use layers of codes to fix the issues on top of the core not in the core.

Im sorry for the long post i tried to be as clear as possible after all English is my second language.

I would love to see your opinions on these matters bellow.

Thank you.

The Forum post is edited by Anmar Jun 27 '13
kevinL
kevinL Jun 27 '13
I have no problem with all of your highlight here on my site. But I think that before Oxwall releases any beta version to us, they must have made sure that it was working 99% not 110%.  If we want Oxwall to work 110% than we would have to make a donation to the developer team.

this is my 2 cents.

Anmar
Anmar Jun 27 '13
thx for highlights. This make me wander if something wrong with my Hosting.

Whats your site?

How many members you have? 

The Forum post is edited by Anmar Jun 27 '13
Den Team
Den Jul 2 '13
Hey there,

Aman, points you are highlighting are truly important. And we do our best to fix any common issues specially with software installation. 

Just check the CHANGELOG.txt in software's package to find that the most priority in development is given for existing features refactoring and bug fixing. That is the way of product development we keep on.

Let's make it clear! Would you provide us with more details/feedback according to points you listed:

-Issues like email verification for new users not working is considered hug problem. 

Would you submit more technical details about the issue. How did you find that the software tries to send many times the email verification mail with invalid recipient? This is the most important to find the reason of none sending email in your case

-A new plugin can conflict with some of the system features which make some of oxwall features disfunction is also considered a problem.

This is quite often problem. Oxwall, as any mass software, needs more code refactoring and, probably, architecture changes to obtain support for more plugins working at the same time. This is what we are working on constantly. Also, to reduce the problem, each new plugin submitted to Store, goes through the moderation team. Which perform a basic compatibility tests. 

-Also a very high attention on the different browser compatibility (I have noticed several posts in the forum which ends up the problem from the browser).

There a lot browsers, available for consumers in our days. And the fact the most of them uses different engines, makes it impossible to  support all them at the same time. That's why the common practice in software development is to support the most popular with the latest versions, like Chrome, Firefox, Safary, IE(still), etc. And provide the best compatibility for them.

- Few other common issues do exist.

Which ones? 

-The problems with RTL languages

Reasonable suggestion. But, unfortunately, currently this is impossible task for a small team like ours. Just too many more critical tasks.

May be some one from the local communities, who really requires RTL support, will implement it into the engine. 

The Forum post is edited by Den Jul 2 '13
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jul 2 '13
Quote from Den -Issues like email verification for new users not working is considered hug problem. 

awe... Just give them a hug then Den. ;)
Anmar
Anmar Jul 14 '13
Quote from Den

-The problems with RTL languages

Reasonable suggestion. But, unfortunately, currently this is impossible task for a small team like ours. Just too many more critical tasks.

May be some one from the local communities, who really requires RTL support, will implement it into the engine. 

Thank you Den for giving the time to answer my post..

in regard to the last highlight will you have the time to direct me if i started to try to venture into the RTL support.. For me till now i cant really understand how the architecture of Oxwall... Im thinking of starting a simple plugin for the Form inputs to be aware of the current language. 

See this

Step by step maybe we could see the RTL support coming slowly into reality ....

By the way im okay not a pro with css, JS, PHP and MySQL but mainly using CodeIgniter.