We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

restrict moderators from deleteing/editing accounts [Solution available] | Forum

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

I think its enough that moderators can suspend an account. A moderator therefor should not be able to delete an account or change profile details. Leave that duty to the admin to do.  So i will be looking into how to remove the delete button from the list of options from the moderators view.

Allowing these features (edit and delete) should be an admin option and maybe in 1.6 it will be.

The Forum post is edited by Alia Aug 11 '14
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

so here is the current code for delete user.. (abbreviated of course for example purposes) 

public function deleteUser( $params )
    {
        if ( !OW::getRequest()->isAjax() )
        {
            throw new Redirect404Exception();
        }

$userId = (int) $params['user-id'];

$user = BOL_UserService::getInstance()->findUserById($userId);

if ( $user === null || !OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') )
        {

i have not decided if its better to attack this from here and change isAuthorized('base') to isAdmin (moderators have base permissions) which would keep moderators from deleting but they would still have the button im sure and it would just give them an error when they clicked it

unless i just take base permission away but then that would affect other things they should be able to do.   

i think its probably better to attack this both ways, here and also in the html display of buttons (which i have not found that file yet)

What do you team members think you think this should be a core change as well.

if we need to move this to code changes area team thats fine.

dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

here is my change to that and it does work and the moderators will get the message that they do not have permission, but they will get the button and they will get the confirm delete message but then they get the no permission message. 

in ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/user.php

public function deleteUser( $params )
    {
        if ( !OW::getRequest()->isAjax() )
        {
            throw new Redirect404Exception();
        }

$userId = (int) $params['user-id'];

$user = BOL_UserService::getInstance()->findUserById($userId);

//changed to only allow admin to delete

//old code

// if ( $user === null || !OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') )

if ( $user === null || !OW::getUser()->isAdmin() )
        {

//added message
            exit(json_encode(array(
            'message' => 'Sorry but only Admin can delete users - no permission',
            'result' => 'error'
            )));
        }

now to find the button...   yes i know core changes are not recommended but i am hoping that when the team sees this they will make this a core change.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 3 '13
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

well the button is a bit more complicated and not in my expertise level.  i found the php and the html file  its  profile_action_toolbar    but  after looking at both the php and the html and the db it appears there is just not an option to isolate and remove the delete button (unless you want to remove base permissions which is not what we want).  Meaning that the button shows up due to being included in a general permission solution and not any code specific enough to say "this is the permission to show del button"  or not.   There is a foreach process that could be added to in order to grab the value of the button i guess and check if not admin then next foreach and include that in the array.

So basically any moderator with base permission will see this button and it would have to be a new extensive core change to isolate the actual delete button (permission itself). I could be wrong but that is what i see is happening. 

So we are left with just doing the code above i guess and letting them click the button to get the message.

Team your thoughts please :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 3 '13
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

Now for part 2 the edit profile issue. 

very simple its in   ow_system_plugins/base/components/user_view_widget.php

and the function is  

public function __construct( BASE_CLASS_WidgetParameter $params )
    {

find this part

if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() || OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') ) )     
        {
            $adminMode = true;
            $questions = $questionService->findAllQuestionsForAccountType($accountType);
        }

and change it like so

//changed to not allow moderators to edit profiles

//old code

// if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() || OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') ) )

if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() ) )
        {
            $adminMode = true;
            $questions = $questionService->findAllQuestionsForAccountType($accountType);
        }

again another good idea for core change IMO

bobbi
bobbi Jul 3 '13
i personally do not have a problem with the mods on my site deleting a account if necessary,
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

I agree, but what would that situation be, i kept asking myself, why would they need to and i could not come up with a reason.   I think deleting accounts, editing profiles, and even changing roles should be added the the base permissions list in admin.

Did you know that a moderator can change their own role to make it admin. 

Abbey
Abbey Jul 3 '13
can't say I've seen that dave, .... maybe they can change their user role but they can't add themselves as admin and access the admin panel.

if you don't want mods deleting members don't tick the "base" box.
dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13
Yes abbey thats what i mean they cant access admin but they can add themselves to the admin role.    The base box is much more than just deleting an edit profile, it covers more items also that i do want them to do.
Abbey
Abbey Jul 4 '13
maybe it needs to be reviewed then, delete added to the admin and not base.
Den Team
Den Jul 10 '13
Topic was moved from General Chat.
Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Jul 17 '13

Quote from dave Now for part 2 the edit profile issue. very simple its in ow_system_plugins/base/components/user_view_widget.php and the function is public function __construct( BASE_CLASS_WidgetParameter $params ) { find this part if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() || OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') ) ) { $adminMode = true; $questions = $questionService->findAllQuestionsForAccountType($accountType); } and change it like so //changed to not allow moderators to edit profiles //old code // if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() || OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') ) ) if ( ( OW::getUser()->isAdmin() ) ) { $adminMode = true; $questions = $questionService->findAllQuestionsForAccountType($accountType); } again another good idea for core change IMO

Thank you for this helpful guide.
:)
BEST REGARDS
adminnoah
adminnoah Sep 28 '13
I Agree with Dave, i want to assign Moderator on my site to delete, aprove

ALLOWED:

-SUSPEND USER

-CHANGE ROLE ON USER PROFILE STATUS

-PRIVACY & PERMISSIONS 

.GLOBAL PRIVACY <----not allowed

.ROLES <----not allowed

.MODERATORS <---- only this option are allowed to Moderator i assign as " ADMIN " so the moderator admin can assign another moderator or admin, and they cannot access DASHBOARD setting or change my default setting on themes, plugin etc.

DON'T ALLOWED FOR "MODERATOR ADMIN" AND " MODERATOR"

-DELETE USER

-CUSTOMIZE THIS PAGE

-PLUGIN, APPEARANCE

-PRIVACY & PERMISSIONS

-SETTINGS

-USER

-DASHBOARD

ETC.

can you help me how to do this? ^_^ Thank you so much

Joey
Joey Nov 7 '13
what about stopping moderators suspending accounts?
dave Leader
dave Nov 7 '13

I have not worked that up, i dont really plan on that.  Why not let them suspend accounts you can always unsuspend them if  you disagree, it is better to have them make a mistake and suspend and learn how and when, than to risk a troublemaker causing drama or worse damaging your site. 

If you are going to take away the good stuff then first they are nothing more than normal members with a fancy logo on their picture and you just frustrate them when trouble comes knocking because a powerless MOD is laughed at by everyone IMO..

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 7 '13
fbkca
fbkca Nov 7 '13
Quote from Joey what about stopping moderators suspending accounts?

then they are not moderators.
Joey
Joey Nov 8 '13
Good point :)
adminnoah
adminnoah Nov 8 '13
I think this one is better
- ADMIN /OWNER
   . Can add / remove moderator

. Can change user role on profile
   . Can delete / suspend & unsuspend user   . Can approve / disapprove user
   . Can Delete Content like comment, video etc.   . With admin dashboard and can edit content like video, photo etc.   . And more....
   . etc.
- COADMIN
   . Can add / remove moderator   . Can change user role on profile
   . Suspend & unsuspend user   . Can approve / disapprove user
   . Can Delete Content like comment, video etc.
   . withouth admin dashboard but can edit content like video, photo etc.   . etc.

- MODERATOR   . Can approve / disapprove user
   . Can Delete Content like comment, video etc.
------------------------------------------------------------
I think more moderators on our website is better but limited what they can do..,
This feature is helping site owner and fell free for anything else without any trouble, 

dave Leader
dave Feb 4 '14

I will update this due to 1.6 being slightly different for one file

below is how the mod code looks with the old code commented out.

ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/user.php

inside of function deleteUser  around line 378 about 3/4 down the page

//changed only to allow admin to delete users
           //old code
               // if ( $user === null || !OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base') )

if ( $user === null || !OW::getUser()->isAdmin() )
        {

//added message
            exit(json_encode(array(
            'message' => 'Sorry but only Admin can delete users - no permission',
            'result' => 'error'
            )));
        }

if you only want admin to edit profiles

ow_system_plugins/base/components/user_view_widget.php

inside of function __construct  on about line 40

//orig code
        // $adminMode = OW::getUser()->isAdmin() || OW::getUser()->isAuthorized('base');

// mod to only allow admin to edit profiles
         $adminMode = OW::getUser()->isAdmin();

good luck :)

loveswing16
loveswing16 Feb 15 '14
thanks code work perfectly
Pages: 1 2 »