We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newsfeed Messages in different Languages | Forum

Bekir Eyiengin
Bekir Eyiengin Jul 8 '13

If you have a multilanguage site, you have a problem with Newsfeed.

Messages appear in different languages​​, is this normal?

The problem is that nobody cant understand the newsfeed because there are too much languages, it looks disastrous. (by the way, same problem by email notifications)

Is there a solution for this problem?

Alia Team
Alia Jul 9 '13
I would like to clarify what I mean by "messages" first.
Messages - are texts realated to certain actions that get posted to newsfeed. For example the text "{userA}IS NOW FRIENDS WITH {userB}" is the message.

So action happens>>system generates messages>>system checks which language user has selected on your site>>system saves generated message in this language>>messages get's displayed in newsfeed.

That is why you are getting "problem" with your newsfeed when you use several languages.
That is how the feature was originally designed.
I have passed your concern to our product development team. They will check what can be done and whether it is possible to design this feature in another way.

Regarding notifications, what kind of email notifications you mean?

Bekir Eyiengin
Bekir Eyiengin Jul 9 '13

Aliia, i know why it happens, I just wanted to say that it is an "Multilanguage error"

The generated messages from system are ok. It displays always the right languages.

The Problem is this:

UserA use english, so the message is IS NOW FRIENDS WITH UserB (language english) or likes UserB

But now UserX comes to newsfeed, his languages is Indian or Turkish, he cant understand

userA IS NOW FRIENDS WITH UserB or likes userB

"The english user" has the same problem if a indian enter something in Newsfeed.

the native language email notifications problem I had already described in another forum

Alia Team
Alia Jul 9 '13
I understood your idea and have already passed it to development team. They need to take a look at whether this can be developed in another way. One of the other possible options is displaying newsfeed only in the language set as default one in admin panel. So if english is default language, everything in newsfeed will be in english. But again this might not be a good solution since then a lot of users  will not understand what is written there since they don't know english. Let's see what development team comes up with.