We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Selecting User Role when sign up | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
marcus
marcus May 16 '11
Hi is there an option where user can select their role when signing up?
Den Team
Den May 16 '11
Hi marcus!
User roles was made to determine user's permissions and access level. So, only admin and moderators can change user's roles. And it is imposible to choose user roles on signup page :)
Benjamin
Benjamin May 26 '11
But is it possible to do the following?:

First; I made some extra user roles.

Then; when you signup on my site you can choose from two different accounttype; 'normal user' and 'company'. What I want is that when you select 'company' the user role automatically change to another user role than 'free'.

Is it possible?
Michael Leader
Michael May 26 '11
Imagine company had more rights than normal user. You will allow for someone to create an account and choose what rights they have? No... Not good. You can use the account type to pick company or normal user. You can mark the initial default user role as new (and add label) and keep an eye. Go in and change them manually

or buy the "Paid Membership" plugin and try something that way.
Benjamin
Benjamin May 27 '11
When you register you automatically will be assigned to the 'Free' userrole. So...somewhere in the join-process it's written that you will be, no matter wich account type you select, assigned to the 'Free' userrole.

Where can I find those lines? Where does the package assign a new user to the default 'Free' userrole?
Benjamin
Benjamin May 28 '11
Anyone? Maybe it will be implemented in the 1.2 version?
Den Team
Den May 30 '11
Hi guys.

Agreed with Michael, Currently, we don't plan to implement it.

Quote from Benjamin
So...somewhere in the join-process it's written that you will be, no matter wich account type you select, assigned to the 'Free' userrole.

What do you mean? Would you attache a screenshot please? :)
Benjamin
Benjamin May 30 '11
Ok, I will try to clear up what I mean:

When users signup on my site, they can choose what kind of user they are. So, they choose a Account Type.

Wether they select the 'Normaal lid'- or 'Bedrijf/Opdrachtegever'-accounttype...the userrole they will get assigned to is the Free userrole. After that, I can give the users a different userrole manually.

BUT: What I want is that Account Types and Userroles are going together. So, accounttype 'Normaal lid' should automatically get the 'Free' userrole. And, the accounttype 'Bedrijf/Opdrachtegever' should automatically get the 'C' userrole.

At last a little overview from what I mean:
This is wat Oxwall offers now
accounttype 1 -> userrole '1'
accounttype 2 -> userrole '1'

This is what I want to
accounttype 1 -> userrole '1'
accounttype 2 -> userrole '2'
Michael Leader
Michael May 30 '11
But if user role 2 can do more on the site than user role 1 or, user role 2 sees more than user role 1, what is to stop someone creating 2 accounts so they can have both the functionality of both user roles. The only ways to ensure the user role system isn;t abused is either with the paid membership plugin OR you manually change them on discovery.

Example,
User role 1 is allowed to upload photos.
User role 1 is NOT allowed to see forums.

User role 2 is allowed to upload photos AND see and post in forums.

The forums is used to discuss the suitabilty of the photos uploaded by user role 1 people. These comments may be harsh so best to hide from the user role 1 but good that there is a confidential selectivity.

Now a user 1 role person creates an account and says they are account type 2 getting user role 2 permissions. They can now potentially see comments related to their account type 1 pictures. The confidentiality is broken and if discovered then account type 2 people may not be as truthful/honest.

Best scenario
User joins acount type 1 or 2, they get a default user role (add a awaiting approval label)
Admin sees the new labelled accounts and applies the correct role as per the account type. The users will know of the delay but if you are securing confidentiality / privacy then people will understand the need for delays!

I do see your dilemma but it is open for abuse and where there may not be any, expect there to be. After all, you want to have 2 user roles for a reason..... What can be done that may drive users from your site if the other user role is abused... Expect the worst, prepare for it!
Benjamin
Benjamin May 31 '11
First of all; thnx for your reply!

I think it is good to see the problems written down. I had them in mind but it's really good to discuss those.

Maybe it is good to use the paid membership to avoid abuse. I really would like to see a demo (both user/admin side). Is that somehow possible? And...can I set the membership fee to zero when I want? :D
Den Team
Den Jun 1 '11
Memberships plugin makes possible to buy user's roles for money (http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/1217). This is all it does. So, if user's roles is acceptable for your needs, then you can memberships to sell roles. Don't sure this is what you need :)
The Forum post is edited by Den Jun 1 '11
REHMAN
REHMAN Apr 15
The live chat support on vn88 is always quick to respond. vn88
REHMAN
REHMAN Apr 17
V8 Poker is a term that doesn't seem to have a widely recognized meaning in the context of poker as of my last update. It could be a specific variant of the game, a poker room or website, or perhaps a reference to something else entirely. Could you provide more context or clarify what you're looking for regarding V8 Poker? V8gamebai.com
REHMAN
REHMAN Yesterday, 07:22AM
Some may be interested in discussions around select-fire Glocks, which would have a switch to change between semi-automatic and automatic firing modes. However, as of my last update in January 2022, Glock doesn't produce select-fire handguns for civilian use. Such modifications would also be illegal without proper authorization. GFlex Triggers
REHMAN
REHMAN 8 hours ago
It's important to approach online gambling responsibly and with caution. While platforms may advertise big wins and guaranteed success, it's crucial to remember that gambling always carries risks. Players should set limits, gamble within their means, and be aware of the potential consequences of excessive gambling. maxwin88