We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Spam messages | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
My site has recently been hit with a spammer.
The user seems to have messaged everyone on the site in a short space of time.

The user had to have created an account, verified it then somehow once verified managed to message every member in the site.

I was able to quickly thru the db find the usererid and delete all relating messages.

How could this happen!? What are the mechanics in this kind of thing happening?
How can it be stopped?

(Another reason where user activity ip to be researched and created so we can block these guys)
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
And a way of logging what has happened. Like an admin status email when a member joins. Cos I panic deleted the member and all subsequent messages but forgot to get their email address!

The admin audit will need some work done probably asap. member safety etc is paramount for any social network. Oxwall is new but please consider not delaying functionality for sparkley new features! (yeah i am blaming you for me forgetting to note the email down!)
ma3ih Club
ma3ih May 17 '11
can u type her massage?
cuz i have something like this today

this is massage

marry 2 ساعت پیش
please my Dearest One reply me to this e-mail.
marryfred@yahoo.com

Dearest One,
My name is Miss marry fred i saw your profile today in this site (www.lipstickandlenses.com) and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address (marryfred@yahoo.com)
i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Miss marry (Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life Yours Love
Miss marry (marryfred@yahoo.com
ma3ih Club
ma3ih May 17 '11
he send this massange to all member in just few min
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
thats my site they said it was from but my message said it was from another... oooo there is a security hole somewhere... OXWALL HELP!

I had 2 spam messages. One from Bensonelizabeth85@yahoo.com and the site was www.wedatefree.com
This seemed to happen around 7pm GMT
The Forum post is edited by Michael May 17 '11
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
some kind of automated script that can verify on site then by using a vunerability it seems they can send messages to all members AND by attacking various sites they use the previous one as content in the message.
Funny how u masih got My site in your message.

Not feeling happy right now. that kind of activity can destroy a site by pissing off members.
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
i also got notification about a profile comment!
Im wondering if the roles would stop this happening or more than likely found a way round it.
I am considering setting the default role to be limited until confirmed then create a confirmed role I manually set when I know they are real.

Can you set in Oxwall the default user role on join?
The Forum post is edited by Michael May 17 '11
ma3ih Club
ma3ih May 17 '11
because He/she/BOT spam this massage in my site too xD
The Forum post is edited by ma3ih May 17 '11
Michael Leader
Michael May 17 '11
I have set the default role to be limited and I will add users into a confirmed role manually.
Easy done. Create new role then use sql query to amend the relevant db table to change role!

Goggled the email addresses. Seems a common spam not unique to oxwall. However, I would love to know how they do it AND how to protect from it later.
Den Team
Den May 17 '11
Hi Michael.
What about "Confirm email" setting in user settings? :) This option will require to confirm email after registration. If user will not do it (BOT/Spammer), he will not be able to use site.
ma3ih Club
ma3ih May 18 '11
i dont Know addenster :-?
i have many question in register page
and have confirm email too
meybe he/she/bot Register Normali and Spam email and comment's with Bot Script
But He/she/bot Do this really Fast
just in 1 min i see he/she/bot write comment in all profile's
The Forum post is edited by ma3ih May 18 '11
Michael Leader
Michael May 18 '11
Hi addenster, Same as Masih, I have email verify turned on along with required answers!

Removing the user was simple but when the user was deleted and the option, delete all user content was ticked it did leave the messages in my inbox (as unread) so I had to find the userid and remove all instances from a few tables within the db. Not hard to do but all user content was not deleted! So all my normal members still had the message in their mailbox, showing from "deleted user" .

The person/bot/scumbag was able to get an account registered and verified. They were also able to pass the captcha on account sign up.

Michael Leader
Michael May 18 '11
I have yesterday's access log. Looking through it. There are a few requests that seem excessive from the one IP.
Den Team
Den May 18 '11
I have some news. To prevent spammers attack, in next updates we will include:
- if user will try to send more then one PM every 20 secs, system will show cpatcha on send message form
- after user was deleted, system will delete all conversation started from this user abd without any reply (typically spammer's conversations).
Michael Leader
Michael May 18 '11
Good one Addenster!

When u mention after user was deleted, system will delete... Is that the future?
Den Team
Den May 18 '11
Hmm... what do you mean? :)
Michael Leader
Michael May 18 '11
What I mean is.
Did you expect deleting user and ticking delete content SHOULD HAVE removed all messages/conversations
Or
You plan in the future this will happen.

Cos currently my site didn't.

Have you it done yet? No? Why not? Lol
Den Team
Den May 19 '11
Yes, we plan to do it in next update :)
ma3ih Club
ma3ih Jul 31 '11

Quote from Addenster after user was deleted, system will delete all conversation started from this user abd without any reply (typically spammer's conversations).

update is come but its not delele conversation's still !
Den Team
Den Aug 1 '11
Did you check it?
Pages: 1 2 »