We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

www.oxwall.org not there for a bit | Forum

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 2 '13

504 Gateway Time-out

cloudflare-nginx

In case it matters.... a few minutes ago...  It made me feel sad.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 4 '13
This is the main site for the software but it is very SLUGGISH much of the time.

Alia Team
Alia Aug 4 '13
Thanks for reporting Steve.
We are working with Cloudflare support to solve this.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 5 '13
I hope any solution will be shared with the rest of us who are using Oxwall and Cloudflare.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 7 '13
Any word yet?  I would think that this would be a high priority.
Alia Team
Alia Aug 9 '13
No news yet Steve.
Will keep you posted.

ben
ben Aug 9 '13
you cant expect more as it's a free cdn service. they had many downtime sice middle 2012 but still the best choice for free cdn
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 9 '13
Free is no excuse for shabby in this hour.  There are many free services and products that work extremely well and many work better than some paid products.

dave Leader
dave Aug 11 '13

+1 steve,  we expect a free car to start just as we expect a free script to be quality.  Oxwall is quality.  There are issues and im sure they are working on them, it takes time since they are not a paid script they dont have a huge team staff and deep pockets.

So in this case Oxwall is not the issue, cloudflare is,  and IMO (in my personal opinion) i think cloudflare is not only overkill but useless in many ways, but thats just me and because i know what im doing, most of the time anyway lol..   And i know enough that i dont have to give up control of my site to someone else.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 11 '13
Cloudflare is very handy with its ability to block IP ranges and countries.  That itself is very helpful for spammer control.
dave Leader
dave Aug 11 '13

True and for those that do not know how to do that or build up a process over time then that is fine, but you are giving up control of your site to someone else in that matter. 

It is just as easy to take some time to learn how to do this yourself, keep control of your site and over time you can have the same or better result.    On my error log every day i see the result of my tedious hard work over the last couple of years developing what i have.  I just smile now and laugh and think "sorry idiots cant get in can ya"  lol..   but they dont stop trying, its so funny.

I might also add for clarification for others here, that ip's are not by city state country  you can have ip 123.456.789.000 in the USA and 123.456.799.000 in africa. 

Also too many people want to stop spammers by using some kind of auto pilot control, there are numerious things you can do in that respect but bottom line is, it takes work, it takes paying attention, and it takes learning how to config things correctly, and its always changing. :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 11 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 11 '13
Quote from dave I might also add for clarification for others here, that ip's are not by city state country  you can have ip 123.456.789.000 in the USA and 123.456.799.000 in africa. 

Might want to rethink that.  Try and find a 61.*.*.* that is not Chiner

Steve

dave Leader
dave Aug 11 '13
Steve that might be possible, but that is not the norm, that is an anomaly.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Aug 11 '13
No offence; I'm sorry but anomalies are just not normal.

dave Leader
dave Aug 11 '13
No offence taken we all look at the facts a bit different.