We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cracking Down on License Violations | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
ross Team
ross Mar 10 '14
I am:)
Joseph
Joseph Mar 10 '14
on a side note can you guys get the spam off of the forum?
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Dec 29 '15
Greetings,
1. What about in a case where the owner of an Oxwall site makes donation to Oxwall in order to remove the attribution/powered by oxwall link but don't want his website link to be displayed/ listed here: https://www.oxwall.org/donation but only wishes only his name (and probably his amount) to be displayed or not to be displayed at all. Instead, can oxwall have the record of the site owner (Name, Site, Amount) but WITHOUT displaying the record at https://www.oxwall.org/donation? Will the owner of the oxwall site still get all the support and benefits or whatever comes with the donation with those that displayed their website link after donation on the https://www.oxwall.org/donation page?
2. How can the site owner COMPLETELY remove the powered by oxwall link in ALL pages of the oxwall website. I noticed that even when you remove it from the dndindex.html and general.html files in the master-pages folder of a theme, some pages still have the link. A typical example is if a user signs up in an Oxwall site and wants to resend email activation link to their email so that they can be able to use the site, I discovered that that very page still has the powered by oxwall link even after removing it from the theme master pages.
So how can it be completely removed?
ross Team
ross Dec 29 '15
As soon as you donate $50 we'll send you the instructions how to remove the attribution link from all template pages. After that we include the donator the donations list, if you want we will hide your name and domain. 
Franklin Frank
Wow! What a quick response. Am so happy when my questions are answered on time. Thank you so much Ross. I hope the instructions won't take to long? If the donator chooses to hide his name and domain, will he still enjoy the COMPLETE benefits as with other donators that chooses not to hide their name and domains? If after paying and the donator chooses to hide their details, since it won't be displayed on the donation page how would they know that donation was successful? And secondly, after the donation and the name and domain is hidden, what happens/what is the information that will be shown if that domain is typed in the check field at the donation page to see if it is eligible to remove the attribution / powered by oxwall link?
ross Team
ross Dec 29 '15
Domain name won't be visible (if you want that) but you as an owner can type it in the search and see. You will get something like "you're eligible to remove attribution"

There's no any benefits for the donators except for the attribution removal

Franklin Frank
There is this one more question I wanted to ask. I really don't know how to ask it.It might sound so absurd and funny but the question goes like this. What if after hiding the name and domain of the donator and the donator doesn't also want any message to show if someone types the domain in the donation box. What am trying to say is if the domain is typed to check for eligibility on the donation page, there should be no message displaying at all. Or in the absent of that, the "something like not eligible. .." should be shown instead of the "you are eligible. ..". But the most preferred one is nothing/no message should be shown if the domain is checked on the donation page. What about this? Note: BUT INTERNALLY, ONLY OXWALL HAS THE RECORD AND KNOW THAT THE DOMAIN OF THE DONATOR IS ACTUALLY ELIGIBLE! It's just that the donator doesn't want ANY information to be shown on the donation page.
Please I hope you understand my question or what am trying to say?
The Forum post is edited by Franklin Frank Dec 29 '15
Franklin Frank
There is this one more question I wanted to ask. I really don't know how to ask it.It might sound so absurd and funny but the question goes like this. What if after hiding the name and domain of the donator and the donator doesn't also want any message to show if someone types the domain in the donation box. What am trying to say is if the domain is typed to check for eligibility on the donation page, there should be no message displaying at all. Or in the absent of that, the "something like not eligible. .." should be shown instead of the "you are eligible. ..". But the most preferred one is nothing/no message should be shown if the domain is checked on the donation page. What about this? Note: BUT INTERNALLY, ONLY OXWALL HAS THE RECORD AND KNOW THAT THE DOMAIN OF THE DONATOR IS ACTUALLY ELIGIBLE! It's just that the donator doesn't want ANY information to be shown on the donation page.
Please I hope you understand my question or what am trying to say?
What about that?
ross Team
ross Dec 29 '15
Our community members help us to track users without attribution as well, so the message should be displayed for everyone, besides, nobody know your domain after all. Actually I don't understand the point of your question
Anitaku
Anitaku Dec 29 '15
Sounds like he wants to donate, doesn't want there to be any way of the general public to see their eligibility (guessing so they can't come here and see if they are using a third-party CMS) but still have record of the donation/eligibility able to be seen by the member and oxwall staff only. 
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Dec 31 '15
Yes! @Ross, Phil W has explained exactly what I was trying to say. In fact, what Phil W said is exactly what I meant. Not only just donating once, but as long as the oxwall software serves it's intended use, I may want to continually be donating more and more to those in charge of/who created the oxwall software. I might even make very huge donations in the future. I believe with my personal contributions if everything goes fine with the project using Oxwall, I believe it would make the oxwall developers to be more motivated in developing the oxwall software to be more better and the whole community will be happy! Yes, I don't want the public to have any idea or any trace whatsoever of the type of software or technologies am using. Not now, but I may wish to let them know in the future if the oxwall software help me to establish on the project I intend to embark on. If I become fully established, I may want to announce to the public that am using oxwall software or whatever technology am using. Please do not think that am afraid of competition. I can NEVER be afraid of competition! Not even for once. Competition even makes me become a better individual. And I am never scared of failure. Failure makes me learn more especially if I insist on getting right what previously made me to fail. But at the same time, you need to prepare strongly for failure so that you can defeat it. Or even when you fail you can detect why you fail and improve. But if you don't prepare, you might keep failing and never learn why you fail. Another reason is that security is one of my top priorities when considering a technology. In fact, security is the number one. I was going through a security news and discover that one of the oxwall 1.7 software is open to security attacks like the Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) as well as some other attacks. I even conducted a research in some of the oxwall plugins and discover that few plugins might expose your database to the public and even make the public to download your your database! So I was able to download this database from the main sit/Front end (Not from the admin area). So you see, sometimes if user tends to know the technology you are using and if they know that it's vulnerable they may be tempted to perform some security attacks. So this is exactly what am talking about. But if you have tightened almost ALL holes especially the know ones, then you can be a bit relaxed to tell anyone the underlying technology. Users' privacy is very important to me so I can go at any extent in ensuring that is in place if I have the resources to do that. I hope you understand better, @Ross, and to whoever this post may concern?
@Ross, how can a community member or anyone trace users without attribution? Do they have to check every domain or website they come across in their life?
Again, how can one finds out that a website is using Oxwall? Is this possible? And if is possible, how can the owner of the website (May be after donation) makes his Oxwall website not to be detected by any one that he/she is using Oxwall software for his/her website. I believe that there are people out there that are having similar thoughts to what am saying in this post and my previous post.
@Other, please if you are having similar thoughts after going through my post (s), please keep a comment (you may want to mention me so I will know you are referring to my posts).
Please am waiting for your replies on this matter am talking about @Ross, @Others.
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Dec 31 '15
Yes! @Ross, Phil W has explained exactly what I was trying to say. In fact, what Phil W said is exactly what I meant. Not only just donating once, but as long as the oxwall software serves it's intended use, I may want to continually be donating more and more to those in charge of/who created the oxwall software. I might even make very huge donations in the future. I believe with my personal contributions if everything goes fine with the project using Oxwall, I believe it would make the oxwall developers to be more motivated in developing the oxwall software to be more better and the whole community will be happy! Yes, I don't want the public to have any idea or any trace whatsoever of the type of software or technologies am using. Not now, but I may wish to let them know in the future if the oxwall software help me to establish on the project I intend to embark on. If I become fully established, I may want to announce to the public that am using oxwall software or whatever technology am using. Please do not think that am afraid of competition. I can NEVER be afraid of competition! Not even for once. Competition even makes me become a better individual. And I am never scared of failure. Failure makes me learn more especially if I insist on getting right what previously made me to fail. But at the same time, you need to prepare strongly for failure so that you can defeat it. Or even when you fail you can detect why you fail and improve. But if you don't prepare, you might keep failing and never learn why you fail. Another reason is that security is one of my top priorities when considering a technology. In fact, security is the number one. I was going through a security news and discover that one of the oxwall 1.7 software is open to security attacks like the Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) as well as some other attacks. I even conducted a research in some of the oxwall plugins and discover that few plugins might expose your database to the public and even make the public to download your your database! So I was able to download this database from the main sit/Front end (Not from the admin area). So you see, sometimes if user tends to know the technology you are using and if they know that it's vulnerable they may be tempted to perform some security attacks. So this is exactly what am talking about. But if you have tightened almost ALL holes especially the know ones, then you can be a bit relaxed to tell anyone the underlying technology. Users' privacy is very important to me so I can go at any extent in ensuring that is in place if I have the resources to do that. I hope you understand better, @Ross, and to whoever this post may concern?
@Ross, how can a community member or anyone trace users without attribution? Do they have to check every domain or website they come across in their life?
Again, how can one finds out that a website is using Oxwall? Is this possible? And if is possible, how can the owner of the website (May be after donation) makes his Oxwall website not to be detected by any one that he/she is using Oxwall software for his/her website. I believe that there are people out there that are having similar thoughts to what am saying in this post and my previous post.
@Other, please if you are having similar thoughts after going through my post (s), please keep a comment (you may want to mention me so I will know you are referring to my posts).
Please am waiting for your replies on this matter am talking about @Ross, @Others.
Tecca
Tecca Dec 31 '15
@Frank

People checking for attribution will do it through this Oxwall forum (if, say, you post your link here asking for help with something). They'll check to make sure the attribution is allowed to be removed. But if you never share your link, nobody from this site is likely to run across it randomly and then check its eligibility.

Also, security through obscurity isn't really security. I feel like it can help sometimes when it comes to script kiddies (like changing the port on your SSH server), but only to a small extent in terms of convenience. But if someone is trying to find a way to break through your security, you can bet they'll know what software you're running within the minute.

Don't worry about people finding out what software you're running. The only reason I wanted to remove the attribution after I donated was because I'm a web designer and like to keep things as perfect and clean as possible, down to the pixel. My users don't need to know I'm using Oxwall, but they can easily find out or simply ask. I'm not hiding it — rather, it doesn't need to be there because it's redundant information. They're not going to build a site, most of my target audience doesn't know anything about web development or running websites.

The most important thing is to keep your software up-to-date with security patches (should any arise) and keeping your server as locked down as possible with the correct permissions, restricting root access, and so on.
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Jan 1 '16
@Bryan, @Chris_W

Thank you very much for your reply.

@Chris_W, I really thought as much.
@Bryan, you are very much correct. I was also looking for every security measures I could lay my hands on.

Thank you so much guys.

In fact, I think Oxwall really has a community of great, wonderful and awesome members.

@Chris_W, @Bryan, @Ross, @Phil W, @Others, you are the best.
You rock!

I am wishing us all,

HAPPY and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!
The Forum post is edited by Franklin Frank Jan 1 '16
Tecca
Tecca Jan 1 '16
Happy new year to you as well!
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Jan 2 '16
Thank you very much, @Bryan.
ross Team
ross Jan 3 '16

Quote from Bryan @Frank

People checking for attribution will do it through this Oxwall forum (if, say, you post your link here asking for help with something). They'll check to make sure the attribution is allowed to be removed. But if you never share your link, nobody from this site is likely to run across it randomly and then check its eligibility.

Also, security through obscurity isn't really security. I feel like it can help sometimes when it comes to script kiddies (like changing the port on your SSH server), but only to a small extent in terms of convenience. But if someone is trying to find a way to break through your security, you can bet they'll know what software you're running within the minute.

Don't worry about people finding out what software you're running. The only reason I wanted to remove the attribution after I donated was because I'm a web designer and like to keep things as perfect and clean as possible, down to the pixel. My users don't need to know I'm using Oxwall, but they can easily find out or simply ask. I'm not hiding it — rather, it doesn't need to be there because it's redundant information. They're not going to build a site, most of my target audience doesn't know anything about web development or running websites.

The most important thing is to keep your software up-to-date with security patches (should any arise) and keeping your server as locked down as possible with the correct permissions, restricting root access, and so on.
Bryan +1

Franklin, those CSRF holes has already been fixed in one of the recent updates of the software. 

As to the downloading database from the front-end, can you please shed some light on that. How did you do that?

Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Jan 4 '16
@Ross, in one of my previous posts, I stated that the CSRF holes is in one of the 1.7 versions and not the recent. Yes, I already know that it had been fixed in one of the recent updates of the software. The news stated that it was fixed in 1.8. I am so sorry for not pointing that out. I just noticed in my previous post that I didn’t mention the fixtures in the recent version. Please forgive me for that.
I didn't mention the hole for any bad intention but I mentioned it because I love the software (sometimes I feel like eating the software as if it's food) and I pointed that out not because the oxwall team doesn't probably know about the hole but for them to always make security their number 1 priority during the development and maintenance of the software. It's not as if I don't know that the team is not considering security but it's just for them to be very subconscious seeing that the software had gone public. It's just my very little advice which might even be neglected if the team wants.
As for downloading the database from the front-end, the reason I didn't immediately post it here is because am afraid that it might be a dangerous weapon. If some of those guys (you know what I mean) out there should lay their hands on it, they might use it to attack an oxwall powered site so that's why I left it out. I had been thinking about how best to let the issue known. I problem I have with the oxwall team (i mean those in charge of responding to emails) is the they don't respond quickly to your emails or they may decide never to respond at all.
So, what do you think @Ross?
ross Team
ross Jan 4 '16
Can you please PM me here how you downloaded the datatabase, I would love to take a look at it. Thanks. 
Franklin Frank
Franklin Frank Jan 7 '16
Alright. As soon as am with my PC, I will do just as you have said.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »