We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Change forum font color | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Josh
Josh Aug 26 '13
I have been finding it hard to figure out how to change the default white in the star's theme from white to a custom hex color. Any step by step offered? I just messed it all up and had to reinstall my theme! So, I am tired of trial and error. Thanks!
dave Leader
dave Aug 26 '13

I will teach you how to fish that way you can catch stuff you need lol... :)   Tools are wonderful when dealing with css. 

So in Firefox (ie's version sucks) bring up the forum page or any page you want to check out. Then in FF open up the drop down box (the one with options and help listed in side it) and then open up the webdeveloper drop box and click inspector.  

This will allow you to move a box all around the page and you can lock on the item you want by clicking on the item, unlock by clicking the little arrow thing. 

This will tell you the css that controls the visuals on the page and better yet, that particular item.  And then go into ow_themes and open your css file and find that value.  If it is not there then look in the origin theme because that is the default.  

Hope that helps.. :) 

Also this needs to be moved to the customize code section of the forum by a team member please ;)

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 26 '13
Josh
Josh Aug 27 '13
Opps, yeah moving this to customize would be good. Another newbie question is how do I edit the css. I mean, I heard you don't copy and paste the whole code down there... do you just add the changes and then it overwrites the read-only css? 
dave Leader
dave Aug 27 '13

no no the css is in your theme folder,  use notepad, or programmers notepad (never ever use word processing software to open coding files - it leave hidden code inside) 

so use one of those to open your css file in your theme, i think its called base.css and edit the code in there.  

when your done, then refresh your cache in order to update the static files.

dave Leader
dave Aug 27 '13
but before you do that, i assume you have checked the admin edit theme area to see if there is a color option inside.
Josh
Josh Aug 27 '13
This question is solved. Thanks. I just got a web developer safari extension called "Firebug" that allows me to directly edit css. WOW! I just need to remember the changes made...
The Forum post is edited by Josh Aug 27 '13