We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email Issues | Forum

Eric Chen
Eric Chen Sep 15 '13

I'm having issues with sending mail. Emails used to work, but not anymore. I'm using SMTP and SMTP test says SMTP should be working.

In the database, I see records in the table "oxwall_base_mail". When I send a mass mailing, it gets added to this table. I also see verification emails are in the table.

I have read on the forum the issue could be with CRON. I run my cron locally like this:

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/php /home/site/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

My php location is /usr/bin/php.

I see in my cron logs that the cron job is running every minute without errors. I also run "php /home/site/public_html/ow_cron/run.php" manually from the command line and don't see any errors. The records in the "oxwall_base_mail" table don't get removed.

Help, please. Thanks

Alia Team
Alia Sep 16 '13
Eric, are you receiving activity notification emails? Emails from "Contact Us" form?
Or you are not receiving any emails at all?

What are you using for SMTP?
Can you disable it?
Alia Team
Alia Sep 16 '13
I have just received verification email from your site.
Let me know if this issue is still relevant.
Eric Chen
Eric Chen Sep 16 '13
Hey Aliia,

I couldn't figure out what was going on with the notification emails not working, so I reinstalled Oxwall from scratch. You received the verification email from the new installation :)

I'm thinking a file must have been missing or corrupted. Luckily the site was only in beta so I'm not sweating too much with rebuilding it.

Thanks!

Alia Team
Alia Sep 17 '13
Eric, on another note, the email I have received had an expired verification link within it ( even though I clicked on it in 5 minutes after receiving it).  May be I got it when you were doing the reinstallation and thing got screwed up for some time.

You might want to test this yourself to make sure links are working and users can confirm their emails. Let me know if you will be able to reproduce the issue.
Lester Sagastume
Lester Sagastume Sep 19 '13
Hello,

I dont know what to do here. I have disabled SMTP as well as left it on. Emails get to the database only when SMTP is enabled. However, the table is not being cleared. I am on a shared hosting server and have opened several cases with them below is the corn job.

*****/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

I told my hosting company the cron was not running but they confirmed it was.

Hello,The cron was running perfectly fine, please check the logs given below to verify this but it seems cron job is not connecting to database from the the command prompt. To fix this, can you let us know the script with database settings for cron job or else please update database host as 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost and check again.============ Sep 13 22:10:09 owain crond[18749]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:15:06 owain crond[29107]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php)  Sep 13 22:20:06 owain crond[8825]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:25:06 owain crond[18759]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:30:06 owain crond[27388]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:35:06 owain crond[6556]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:40:07 owain crond[16940]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:45:07 owain crond[25526]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:50:06 owain crond[2821]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 22:55:06 owain crond[11105]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 23:00:06 owain crond[20585]:(xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 23:05:06 owain crond[29189]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 23:10:06 owain crond[10240]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) Sep 13 23:15:07 owain crond[21292]: (xxxxxx) CMD (/usr/local/bin/php -c /home/xxxxxx/public_html/php.ini /home/xxxxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.php) ============

Also, when I visit /ow_cron/run.php on my site the table clears.

I do not have access to ssh.Please help

The Forum post is edited by Lester Sagastume Sep 19 '13
fbkca
fbkca Sep 19 '13
You could use a free web cron service instead of relying on your hoster.

just do a google search for free cron service

The Forum post is edited by fbkca Sep 19 '13
Lester Sagastume
hmm interesting. Any recommendations on the free cron services?
fbkca
fbkca Sep 19 '13
easycron looks good.
Lester Sagastume
thanks for your help fbkca. It looks like emails are going out now. Much appreciated.
adminnoah
adminnoah Oct 8 '13
How to disable Email notification to send email to user? i don't want to notified user and i want to remove the automatic notification email to them, i want a notification on on website top right bar,
Alia Team
Alia Oct 10 '13
What about setting "Never" by default.
More info here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/10490