We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Objective-C Native iPhone app | Forum

Thomas
Thomas Oct 4 '13

Just a quick update on this project. Right now it's three of us working on bringing Oxwall functionality to iOS.  It's me in Sweden, Maxim in Sydney, Australia and Fatolu from Lagos, Nigeria. Other people have expressed an interest in the project, but have not commited themself yet.

Maxim have experience in developing for Android as well and we discussed whether we should  focus on that platform. We decided that for now we want to get the Oxwall Messenger ready for iOS and perhaps target Android on a later stage - if nobody else does it first. 

I've also been talking to the Oxwall Dev team and some other parties about collaboration regarding native mobile apps. I'm very happy to see the great amount of interest in this and a willingness to work together to make it happen. 

We will be rolling out a beta test program at the end of next week. A link will be posted here in the forum.

Romuald
Romuald Oct 4 '13
good +1

ustc
ustc Oct 4 '13
Mark
JB TECH
JB TECH Oct 4 '13
Hello everyone. After viewing the iOS project for an Oxwall Mobile Messenger, I decided I'd like to contribute to the project and begin the basic setup for an Android version, so Oxwall admins can have basically everyone have their messenger app.

I've notified Thomas about it, and I'm considering to team up with them to help make these things happen. As for my thoughts so far; I've noticed that it currently is sending/receiving messages for the Private Messages plugin. I'm going to think of some algorithms and ways of how we could be able to add in the Instant Chat (and the instant chat w/video support (with the developer's permission)) to the messenger. Though of course, being a messenger it should only use one, so I think the best idea is to stick with PM's until Private Messages can be treated as Instant Messages as well.

~Jake

Thomas
Thomas Oct 5 '13
@Jake - Great news! May The Code Be With You!
Thomas
Thomas Oct 5 '13
I'd like to welcome @Monroe to the team. Good things are about to happen. ;-)
ustc
ustc Oct 5 '13
Ha, when will a beta version be released? Hope come soon before the 1.6 oxwall::-)
Thomas
Thomas Oct 5 '13
@ustc We are planning on rolling out a beta-program at the end of next week. Hopefully before friday October 11. 
ustc
ustc Oct 5 '13
So efficient, that's a good news for all oxwall users!
Phillip
Phillip Oct 5 '13
I wish i can like this Forum.
The Forum post is edited by Phillip Oct 5 '13
Romuald
Romuald Oct 7 '13

@ Thomas regade if it can help your project.

http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/oxwall/

cordially

ustc
ustc Oct 8 '13
Quote from Romuald

@ Thomas regade if it can help your project.

http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/oxwall/

cordially

This should be a mobile theme, not a native app, or we can call it a shortcut to your site.
Romuald
Romuald Oct 8 '13
sorry

Thomas
Thomas Oct 8 '13
Thank you for sharing this Romuald, but it is as ustc points out, this is an interface for a web application, not a native app.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 8 '13
Hi everybody. This weeks update on our progress. 

/Thomas

Romuald
Romuald Oct 8 '13
good job and excuse me for my english language
Thomas
Thomas Oct 11 '13

Hi everybody,

The OxwallMessenger Beta-program information can be found in the thread: Beta Program

I hope you all sign up and help us make OxwallMessenger a great app and Oxwall an even better alternative for people to communicate with each other. 

Best regards,

/Thomas

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 11 '13
KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 11 '13
Excited to be helping roll out something great. Looking good so far! Hope everyone enjoys.
Thomas
Thomas Oct 17 '13
I received some questions about the branding of the app we are developing. 

To clarify: 

This is an open source application. If you like, you can download the code, make the changes (brand, graphics, etc) compile it and submit it to Apples AppStore. Apart from that, you need to install some files on your server (our Messenger-API) and you will be ready to go.

The version we are going to submit to AppStore is an unbranded version that will be able to connect to all Oxwall sites with the Messenger-API installed. So your users will be able to buy it on AppStore and connect to your site. 

Thomas
Thomas Oct 27 '13
Installing OxwallMessenger

In order to get your site to work with OxwallMessenger you need to follow these steps:

1.. Copy the entire folder named webservice to the root of the folder where you installed Oxwall

2. Open the file named config.inc.php and make sure that all relevant information is properly filled in. You find all the settings you need in your main configuration (config.php) file that is located in ow_includes-folder. Note! OxwallMessenger will only work if you have not altred the db-prefix during the original installation of Oxwall. Your ow_includes/config.php MUST include the following code: define('OW_DB_PREFIX', 'ow_');`

3. Open the Xcode project and edit the Constants.m file. Look for the line where BASE_URL is defined:static NSString *BASE_URL = @"http://scalo.se/webservice"; and change the URL to your domain but make sure that the/webservice part remains intact.

4. Modify om_sites.php with your sitename and URL. Remove information about the sites you do not want your users to ba able to connect to. Make sure that the array $sites contains all the information it needs (```$site1, $site2, ... etc).

5. Compile the project and log in using your credentials. You should be ready to go!

6. Make sure that you edit all the files you need in order for the app to reflect your brand.

7. Make a build and submit to Apple AppStore using your developer account.

Wiki page

The Forum post is edited by Thomas Oct 27 '13
Pages: « 1 2 3 »