We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How do you post site news? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Kevin Pybus
Kevin Pybus Sep 22 '13
How do you guys deal with posting site news or keeping a site blog up?  I like to keep my users updated with what's going on with the site but oxwall doesn't seem to have any option for a special site blog or news section.

I guess the only option is to make a user account for the site and make a blog under it? But then the site news gets thrown in with everything else and disappears off the front page pretty fast.

I wish we had a special section because a nav link right to it would be very helpful. Has anyone heard of a plugin for this?
dave Leader
dave Sep 22 '13

Hi please put your site link in your profile or incude it here, it helps us to give you better support.  

To answer your question, just create a group called News and post site news in that group.  You can also create forum category called Announcements and use that for site updates.

Hope that helps...

Kevin Pybus
Kevin Pybus Oct 2 '13
Thanks for the info Dave. The site is CodedGamer.com but it's currently on Boonex Dolphin. I'm switching to Oxwall today/tomorrow actually. I don't like Boonex much. It seems Oxwall was based on Boonex or the other way around, or they were both based on old phpfox? idk, what I do know is Boonex is a mess but it has a fairly useful site news section. It doesn't show up on the main page all that well though and it's certainly not worth staying for.

I like the idea of a forum section and I'll give it a try. It's not as in your face as a special section but it will do for now. Maybe someone will make a plugin before I get around to learning Oxwall well enough to do it myself. Again, I appreciate the info.
The Forum post is edited by Kevin Pybus Oct 2 '13
Michel
Michel Oct 2 '13
its also cool to have an news ticker plugin
KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 2 '13
I still run one of my sites on Boonex. Works great for me. I have done a lot of customization to it. I have it set where I don't do anything to it now...it stays running great. I do have another site that I am using Oxwall. Oxwall is basic and to the point but great potential to become even greater than it already is. Creating a news blog would require you to code something yourself. If you are a developer of such, it would be awesome to see it come together. However, Dave hit the nail on the head for now. Or you can try purchasing a plugin that will do it for you. Good luck with your new site and welcome aboard!
KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 2 '13
Something I thought of too....you can create a blog...called News. Then go into Pages and Menus and 'Add a new item'. Link it to an external link and past your link to the admin blog News like so http://www.mysite.com/blogs/user/yourusername and then make it accessible for Guest and Registered Members. Now you will have a News link in your menu bar for both guest and members. You can also set the News page as your homepage if you wish.