We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Site privacy (guests) | Forum

Kevin Dommer
Kevin Dommer Sep 29 '13
Why is it that if the "FORUM" button is visible to guests, they cannot actual view its content (no permissions)... a GOOD thing!  But if I make the "EVENTS" button visible to guests, they can click on it and see the events!

This behavior is inconsistent, and because of this I had to choose some buttons to be visible to guests and some not.  Unfortunately, having only a few buttons at the top (LINKS, PHOTO, FORUM) visible to guests makes it look like there is little available to do on the site.  But if I show other buttons (EVENTS, MEMBERS, etc), guests can see that content rather than getting the "You don't have permissions" message.

Makes no sense to me...

Alia Team
Alia Sep 30 '13
Kevin,

When you make buttons visible/not visible for guests in admin panel>>pages&menus, you make only buttons visible/not visible and not the functionality itself.

Privacy & Permissions ( sitename.com/admin/permissions/roles)  within the user rule feature regulate whether users can or can't see actual content.

Set "View events" not to be available for guests and they will not be able to see the events.

Note: guest users will still be able to see the list of all events. They won't be able to view event details page.
Kevin Dommer
Kevin Dommer Sep 30 '13
Quote from Aliia Note: guest users will still be able to see the list of all events. They won't be able to view event details page.

I guess that's my point.  I would expect to see the "Don't have permission" message for every page except the sign-up page if I don't give guests permission to view anything (which is how I have it set up).

In this case, seeing the event list itself would be akin to seeing the topic list of a forum.  Yet guests cannot view forum topics, so why can they view event lists?

Alia Team
Alia Oct 1 '13
Thanks for brining this up Kevin. You are right.
We will reconsider how this works for future updates.

One of the solutions that might work for you now is:

Make real "Event" menu tab visible only to registered member.

Create custom page "Event" ( url: sitename.com/event) 
  *** don't use /eventS

Put whatever you want to into this custom page and make this page visible only to guest users.

This way guest users get an idea that a lot of things are available on your site, but in fact they will not have access to real events.