We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Main index as login only. | Forum

dave Leader
dave Oct 10 '13

Hi, well i managed to get the main page as the login page as per my clients needs.  But my problem is that i get an undefined value at the top of the page.

As a test (macabre theme) i did a modified dndindex with just some very basic divs (took out most of the items like logo and footer)  so i ended up with a bar bones index.  I still get the undefined.

Im thinking maybe its the header image, or maybe the signon box or maybe even the site title.  I also looked at the Firefox web tools and error log and was not able to find anything undefined to tell me what this is.  

I know something is not being set a value but i dont know what.  

To duplicate this just go to your permissions global permission and set guest can view to no, then go to pages and  just move the join page on the menu anyplace other than the top.   And then you will get the sign on page as default index.

Any ideas what this not defined might be?

Image below

Update:  I thought it might be a plugin, so i deactivated, advertisement, back to top, google adsense, share this, contact us.  And no change so it does not seem to be a plugin.

Anyone know how i can find out what is causing this, i am going to try error_reporting(E_ALL) and see if that works, the old FF error console used to show you any undefined items and tell you where they were or what caused it but i cannot find that feature in the new FF. And there is nothing that comes up with error mode for the site so im running out of tools to use.

Update:  I also just ran it thru the w3c validator to see if it showed anything, and nothing that would cause this showed up..  Im running out of tools fast lol...   Anyone got any tricks up their sleeve.. The site is (removed by me)  you will see the undefined in the top left corner...

Another Update:   I have narrowed it down to my site, i have a clients site that is set up just like mine but without all the plugins and he does not get that undefined text.  So im thinking it must be a plugin, i guess the best thing to do is go one by one and deactivate them and see what happens. If that dont work maybe it is a mod code.    What a pain....  

I still need some help if anyone has a tool or knows a way to see where that is comming from, there is nothing i the source view and nothing in any error logs....

The Forum post is edited by dave Feb 12 '14
dave Leader
dave Oct 11 '13
UPDATE i found where it was comming from by deactivating each plugin one by one.   It is comming from the smilies plugin.  I will see if i can fix it since the dev has not been that great about providing assistance.  I will keep you posted once i discover what is happening.  
dave Leader
dave Oct 11 '13

It appears the dev did not take into account if guests cannot view site, and so he is trying to load some stuff that should not be loaded until logged in such as member id... and such..

I will send him a message, but i know im on my own on this one, he has not even answered any questions on this plugin since i think sept 20 almost a month ago.

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 11 '13
dave Leader
dave Oct 11 '13

i fixed it....  in ow_plugins/smileys/classes/html_document.php

i added the if not authenticated in this function and it fixed it..

public function replaceBaseComment()
    {
        //added by dave
        if ( !OW::getUser()->isAuthenticated() )
        {
         return;
         }
          //end of add

well thats 2 days of my life ill never get back lmao... hee hee

done

KreativMind
KreativMind Oct 11 '13
Nice job. This is exactly how I wanted to do my front page by default but still haven't figured out everything yet.
Wilson
Wilson Oct 11 '13
hey Dave,

I too want to change the login page from "Dashboard" to "MAIN' on my site. I think
it would be much better for all my users. Can you show me and others here how you
where able to do this.

Thanks a lot for the help and great job on your site!
Flipwilson
The Forum post is edited by Wilson Oct 12 '13
Wilson
Wilson Oct 12 '13
Ok I got it done!

Here it is:

To change the default page to open when someone visit yoursite.com, kindly go
to yoursite.com/admin/pages/manage and drag the menu item to the first place.

See post: Ox Post 
dave Leader
dave Oct 12 '13

Yep glad you got it.   Sorry i did not reply soon, i had to rest.    

One thing i wanted to add if you have the login page as index.   Dont forget to change the address of your desktop icon.   I kept getting the splashscreen and drove myself nuts (because it was off) until i realized OH stupid, your calling that address on your desktop icon lol...

The Forum post is edited by dave Feb 12 '14
Wilson
Wilson Oct 12 '13
Well its not working after all,  still can't make the "HOME" page the first thing you see after logging in to the site. I have attached a few pic's showing how it looks when you log in and how the "Pages" setting are arraigned in the Admin area .

Need help if you can?
Wilson

dave Leader
dave Oct 12 '13

yes that is very strange, it should load left to right.   What is the setting for the home link under pages.   Are both guest and member checked or just member.

Looks like its reading the menu right to left

Also be very carefull using that header and that title.   Facebook has legal copyright over that name and they will issue you a stop order if they see that.

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 12 '13
Wilson
Wilson Oct 12 '13

Hey Dave,

Well Visible is set for “Registered”  Members only and is highlighted in “Green” as shown in my pic. When in ‘Green” it means visible to members only.

As for the “Theme” ‘Facebook The Next’ it’s just a test theme. I’m looking at other themes here in the Oxwall store.

I’m stumped on this issue, can anyone help?

Wilson

dave Leader
dave Oct 12 '13

Yes i saw it was green i just wanted to make sure it was still green.   I just went thru my settings and found nothing that would cause this.

The only difference between yours and mine visually, is that i have  Main Dashboard  next to each other and you have

Home ..... .... ..... ...... ....... ..... .... Dashboard

try moving dashboard next to home, leave home in first position but put dashboard next to it.  I dont think it matters but i have seen stranger things.

FYI i love macrabre theme, it takes a little to get it up to speed but once you do its awesome.

Also just fyi if you have the check mark in admin pages profile and pages dashboard to let users mod their pages, (look on the bottom)  you need to uncheck that,  this will allow users to post js and you dont want that..

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 12 '13
Wilson
Wilson Oct 14 '13

Hey Dave,

Well I tried that but without success. So I was looking at the links and find that if you make a link saying “Photo” and point the url link to that page then it will load first after you login (mydomain.com/oxwall/photo). So I will use this format until someone can tell me how to “HARD” code the page to go to “HOME” (index) all the time. Now if you try to use the link on the sign up page, it will go to the “DASHBORD” every time after you sign up or in. I think this is it’s “default” page to go to when using this page…hints why I would like to “HARD” code it all to go to “HOME” (index) page.

If anyone knows what part of the script I would have to change to make this work, please reply.

Thanks Dave for all your help so far!

Wilson

dave Leader
dave Feb 12 '14
check your boards guys and gals, check to make sure that your still able to use the guest pages on the bottom links when you are on the registration page, check to make sure that your still able to see your guest pages at all. 

I will make a new thread with a new fix as i have had some issues with this old setup since updated to 1.6 (just needs some tweeking is all)  but just wanted to let you know. I will update this post with my new post id soon. 

dave Leader
dave Feb 12 '14
if you are having problems with this setup after updating to 1.6 see here 

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/16584