We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can anyone speed up the photo plugin or offer an alternative? | Forum

Omari
Omari Oct 22 '13
with some sort of prefetch or asynchronous loading like facebook? this is the keepback, even a site that has images delivered via cdn and everything is fast ;the photo load speed in all oxwall platforms is ridiculously slow compared to other image viewers anywhere else. try even the oxwall demo. the photos plugin is really slow even with compressed images.
dave Leader
dave Oct 22 '13
So you have reduced the size of your images and they are still slow. I found that really asking my member to not upload any images that are larger than post card size has helped.  There is no need for them to upload huge images, anything over post card size is a waiste and you can get the same resolution.
Omari
Omari Oct 22 '13
fb started at 640 then went to 720 now 960px and they are allowing hq now. It's all about usability. don't get me wrong my images arent slow like somethings wrong.... just compared to fb and some wordpress sites that use a better pre-fetch or async algoritithm loading is not "instantaneous" I'm not a programmer or coder but i understand how everything works.

I would hope the plugin be improved maybe by setting the next image as a hidden DOM element or something. Wish I cud code it myself but there are real programmers out there who may be able to do something. My site targets a country so asking them to play nice with images esp the less tech savvy is problematic

dave Leader
dave Oct 22 '13

I understand and agree with you to a certain point.  The fact is that those with deep pockets like FB and other sites have invested big bucks in ways to offset that load time.  There is only so much you can do with coding.  I am sure they have dedicated servers just for images and other servers just for videos.  

The issue for most of us is that many of us are on shared servers and it is just impossible to compare that to what FB uses for their big dollar platform.  

Improvements are always needed as times change, but remember your objective should never be to compete with FB but to have your own identity and own following.  There are millions of users that hate FB with a passion due to the privacy issues and unfriendly environment. 

My thought is that one day FB will just crash and be gone as fast as it came.  Those that have focused on their own identity will survive, and those that rode on the heals of FB will die with them. 

But even with FB you have a whole world of ready followers just asking for someway to be social without all the fuss and complications.  Those are the ones we should all be focused on in our own niche market.

Sorry to be so long winded...

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 22 '13
Omari
Omari Oct 22 '13
nope i totally agree with you and establishing an indentity. However, we must also rem to be as neutral and user friendly as possible with design depending on the type of contingent you intend to capture. more neutrality=wider scope of users (minimalist design seems to work best.) We're not competing with fb but nothing's wrong with using them as a benchmark. I know the tech they are using with the new bigpipe technology etc. my issue is that with or without hardware improvements image loading is the same. i did my own tests and i have 2 cdns (i was on a shared server before) hence the code improvements will go a long way. i've seen stellar image loading on many sites besides fb. That being said im hugely anticipating oxwall 1.6 The developers of this software are true geniuses and believe in open source so they will always have my support