We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugin update question. | Forum

Owen
Owen Oct 24 '13
When I go to update a plugin through the admin console it seems to fail and then ask me for FTP credentials. The directory oxwall is installed in is owned by the apache user and group, the same as what httpd runs as. I'm familiar with WordPress and am able to use its internal updates with a similar setup. Am I missing something or is FTP the only way to do a plugin update?
fbkca
fbkca Oct 24 '13
FTP is the only way. It fails because it doesn't have your FTP credentials stored or they were incorrect. Unless you want to manually go to the oxwall store and download the plugin. Then extract and upload it to your server... but it amounts to the same thing, unless you only have SCP/SSH access... which wouldn't be very common.

Put in your credentials that you'd access your FTP as and the plugin will update.

The Forum post is edited by fbkca Oct 24 '13
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Oct 25 '13
+1 fbkca
Owen
Owen Oct 25 '13
Great, thanks. I run my own servers and don't usually install / run FTP on them. Kind of a bummer but such is life :)
fbkca
fbkca Oct 25 '13
yeah I hear ya. I do too. Not sure why they can't have an HTML post method to dump the files to.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison May 26 '14
Don't you need to run http://www.yoursite.com/ow_updates or something like that?

And don't pretend its simple, easy or whatever.

I applied the patch I posted and I just click "update". Nothing else to do.
ross Team
ross May 27 '14
Regis, please do not up the old topics with your solution. I will be very grateful if you share the link to the solution at least in one topic only. Thanks
Regis Grison
Regis Grison May 27 '14
Well, I understand what you say and why but please read again the post you're replying to because I dit not here. Or did you edit my post without saying it?

About posting my solution, I understand that you don't find what I did very kind and I must admin it is not.
I wanted to have people in trouble look at it and tell what they think of it.
The other reason can be find in an old post (look at my history if you want to know) where I submitted a small patch to see how the oxwall team reacted to that before sending the one I just posted and the result was really bad. I gave up at this time. I finally published it but not for the oxwall team that did not want it but for users. That's why I uped some topics.

Sorry for the off topic answer but mailbox also exists and sorry for my english, that's not my primary language.
ross Team
ross May 28 '14
Yes, I was told by my manager to delete all the links you posted, no need to point people. If it is necessary they will be able to find it via search. 
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Jun 1 '14
Ross: you find I'm not polite when I multipost? Right, I was. But you were more unpolite than me.

When a moderator edit or remove post, he can at least edit the post, remove text and write a note to explain moderation.

That is called netiquette (it's the french word but I think this work is for english people too).

In other words, you edited my post, I could at least know it, don't you think?

That's exactly this type of reactions that lead me to this multipost.

More than that, my solution, dispite the flaws of it, is for more than a post that do not received any solution by the team.
The Forum post is edited by Regis Grison Jun 1 '14
ross Team
ross Jun 1 '14
I'm not going to take part in this ruckus. I already noted why I deleted your posts it. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 1 '14
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Jun 2 '14
Where? When I asked or where I posted the message?
Roman Burdiuzha
Roman Burdiuzha Sep 24 '23

If you're experiencing issues updating a plugin through the admin console of your Oxwall installation and it's asking for FTP credentials, it's likely due to the file permissions and ownership settings on your server. Here's how you can troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

Check File Permissions:

Ensure that the directory where Oxwall is installed and the plugin directories have the correct permissions. The Apache user (often "www-data" or "apache") should have read and write access to these directories. You can use the chmod command to adjust permissions if necessary. For example:

bash

Copy code

sudo chown -R apache:apache /path/to/oxwall

Check PHP User:

Make sure that PHP is running as the same user that owns the Oxwall files. You can check the PHP user by creating a PHP script containing phpinfo(); and accessing it through a web browser. Look for the "User" and "Group" values to see which user and group PHP is using. They should match the user and group that owns Oxwall.

Check PHP Configuration:

Verify that PHP's open_basedir and safe_mode settings are not causing issues. These settings can sometimes restrict file operations. Check your PHP configuration files (php.ini) for these settings.

FTP Configuration:

If you want to use FTP for updates, make sure you have correctly configured FTP credentials in your Oxwall settings. You'll typically find these settings in your Oxwall configuration file (e.g., ow_includes/config.php). Ensure that the FTP credentials are accurate and match your server's FTP configuration.

Debugging:

Check the Oxwall error logs and your web server's error logs for any specific error messages that might give you more information about why the update process is failing. This can provide valuable insights into the issue.

Security Considerations:

While configuring FTP for updates can solve the problem, it's essential to consider the security implications. Using FTP for updates can pose security risks, so only use it if other solutions cannot be implemented securely. Always use strong FTP credentials and consider using SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) for improved security.

Once you've checked and adjusted the necessary settings, try updating your Oxwall plugins again through the admin console. If the issue persists, the error messages you find in the logs or during the update process should provide more specific clues about what's going wrong, which can help you further troubleshoot and resolve the problem.