We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

cPanel Install Bugs | Forum

Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jun 24 '11
In Order To Get Rid Of Long Time Issues That Nobody Seems To Have Time To Fix, I Installed Another Oxwall Program, This Time Via cPanel Available Programs, So I Can Possibly Start Again From Scratch.

Well, It Acts VERY WACKO On ALL Browsers, When Logging In & When Wanting To Edit. So I Tested By Installing On A Different Server/cPanel, And The Same Issues.

This Is On My Rather New Windows 7 Computer.
Michael Leader
Michael Jun 24 '11
Oxwall installs perfectly if your host has all the requirements. Any issues that arise from an install I would imagine are down to a corrupt download or server settings.

I recently created a development site just for the reason of testing and had no issues at all with it going on so I can verify the install works perfect.
If it is a server issue then finding this issue can be a pain though!

If you are using IE9, there is a temp fix in the bugs section about this...

(And sorry for not getting back to ya on the PM, I have been really busy!)
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 24 '11
@Brother Andrew,

There are two situations here. One is related to the jQuery 1.5.0 bug. The "quick fix" for this issue can be found here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/1377. This jQuery bug only affects IE 9 (and, as you use Windows 7, it is most likely you are being affected by it).

Another aspect of what you have reported is the "quick install" in CPANEL (probably though Softaculous). For some reason it is buggy, and it affects the working of several plugins. The quick and easy fix is to uninstall the plugins and re-install them. Easy as that. You don't need to delete or edit anything, simply use the admin panel to perform these tasks and you will be fine. Please notice that when uninstalling a plugin you will loose all its related data (so, make sure you backup what you need first). However, if it is a fresh install, you have nothing to worry about. ;)

Please, notice that none of the aforementioned issues are directly related to the OxWall software. The jQuery is an external set of Javascript advanced framework developed by Google, and the Softaculous is an independent application that simplifies the installation process for scripts in servers running Linux/cPanel. If there is anything wrong as result of its usage, it is definitively NOT related to the OxWall quality of coding (which is amazingly good)!

Please, follow the aforementioned tips and let me know if it has helped you!
Mark
Mark Jun 24 '11
if installed via an auto install script double check the hosting requirement and then try installing the script manually
(download to your local pc > ftp to server > run install)
Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jun 25 '11
Thanks For ALL Of The Info. I Might Wait Until Version 1.2 Is On Softaculous, To Test It Out More.

Mark: I Have My Original Oxwall Social Network Working On A Server! It Has Had Some Long Time Issues, However It Mainly Works. :--)
Mark
Mark Jun 28 '11
when i manually re-installed mine i still had issues which were fixed by the jquery solution posted above, IE9 tends to be the culprit
Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jun 29 '11
OK :--)
Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jul 10 '11
More Than One Person Has Contacted Me Saying That The Joining Captcha Says INVALID OVER & OVER. Then I Fill Out The Sign Up Page Over The Phone For Them. Is IE Causing That Problem To Happen To People? :--)
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jul 10 '11
There is a huge chance of being IE "trash bugs"....
But, before blame it on the obvious choice, do a review on your sign up page code and make sure there is nothing conflicting in it. I am saying that because your sign up page is huge, and there is an intermediate page called before it.
If nothing wrong is found, then you can blame on IE for sure. ;)
BTW, does your server has ERROR LOG?
Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jul 11 '11
The cPanel Has An ERROR LOG. My Sing Up Page Has Mainly Been The Same For OVER A Year. :--)
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jul 11 '11
Well, I am not saying that there is anything wrong within your signup page. I was just raising the question in an attempt to assist you with your issue. However, as your server has error log option, have you dug into the log to verify if this issue is related to anything in your server-side?

When troubleshooting any web system we must start by removing obvious options. If there is no error recorded on your logs it means that there is no data access issue, and that everything is being rendered correctly on your PHP server.

With this info in hands we must go for the next level: blame on user's browsers. :)

The first thing to do is to verify if everyone else is having the same issue or if it is only affecting some users. If it affects all users we will assume that it is not a browser related bug and we shall focus our troubleshooting on the JS error logs or browser behavior. On the other hand, if only some users are facing the issue then we must identify which browser is generating the problem and try to figure out how to workaround it.

In my case I have a machine with all the major browsers on it, and two other virtual machines (using VirtualBox) running older versions of those same browsers. Having this "testing environment" in hands it is not actually difficult to simulate users problems and isolate the guilty browser (well, most of time we can simply guess which one is the troublemaker! :) But, nothing is better than "be sure" and "under control" of the situation).

Once we know for sure what is the problem and about the circumstances when it happens, we will be one step closer to the solution. Sometimes Googling the problem is more than enough to find several possible solutions... ;)

In this case it is more a matter of patience on "try and error" tests than a tech-geek-nerd kind of stuff. :)

So, back to the original point of this thread (your specific problem):

1) Is there anything in the error logs of your server that points for the problem to be a Server-Side issue?
2) As you said the page is there for more than a year, is the problem somehow recent or it has always happened? If it just start happening recently, it is probably related to some browser "bad" upgrade (and here we will point back to IE)...
3) Have you tried to replicate the problem? Did you collect user's info (OS, browser type and version, etc) from those who have faced the issue?

I think this is a nice start point for anyone of us to be able to assist you and get this situation resolved for good! If you narrow the troubleshooting work this way, you will have the solution in no time.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jul 11 '11
Brother Andrew
I Only Know That The 2 From This Past Week Were Using IE, However NOT Sure What IE Version.

Also, Error Log From cPanel Main Menu Only Shows 2 Errors, From The Separate Oxwall Test That I Uploaded Weeks Ago Via cPanel.

I Need To Sleep. I'll Likely Be Back Later Today Central Time USA. MUCH THANKS! :--)
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jul 11 '11
Have you ever tried the jQuery fix I've published at http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/1377?

Seems to me that your problem is only with IE, and only with its version 9. Exactly what the aforementioned post fixes! ;)

Try it and let me know. I am in Arizona time, so, we both need to sleep (but, I never do)... LOL

Let me know if the jQuery fix solves your problem...
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 11 '11
3 problems with Oxwall.

1:Jquery needs updated to 1.6 as explained by Julio in forum 1377 (see above post)

2:Check "Compatibility mode" in Internet Explorer. Toggle it. That may cure some issues.

3: Dont do quick installs. Oxwall is simple to install.

Oxwall works. Upload the files. Create a database and dbuser with full rights. Goto your site, fill out the required info and very soon after that you have a site. If it fails then it will be either a corrupt upload or host server requirement compatibility issue.

(I can say this because I can reliably install many Oxwall sites on my host without any problems and I always use the latest download for my installs)

Moving from one Oxwall to another... (Not moving your site but embedding your current corrupt oxwall into a fresh install)

We may need to "merge" your old site into a fresh install in case you have a file or db corruption...
Brother Andrew
Michael: I Currently Would Rather Keep My Original Oxwall Network, and NOT Start Over. :--)

Julio: I'll Check Out The jQuery Fix. :-)
Brother Andrew
Looks Like 1.2 That Is Coming Out Weeks Ago lol Is Going To Resolve The Issue. I Can Likely Wait For That. :--)
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 12 '11
@Brother Andrew... It is a simple fix and it saved me a lot of heartache.
PM me if you want it applied to your site... Only takes a few seconds.
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 14 '11
FYI, It seems the jquery fix recommended by julio sorted the issue.
Brother Andrew
Brother Andrew Jul 14 '11
I DON'T Currently Have IE9, However I Assume That It's Better! :--)
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 14 '11
just logged in and it seems ok in IE9.

@Brotherandrew, consider downloading IE9 even though you may not use it. Good to test your site in different browsers to ensure any changes are working.

I had an instance once editing css it caused the site to not work properly in chrome only!
Pages: 1 2 »