We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How do you bypass a plugin update[Solved] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
dave Leader
dave Oct 30 '13

Lets say I like my version of a plugin better than the updated version and I want to keep it, and I know what has been changed and its not a huge deal.

How do I bypass the plugin update and get rid of the update notice from my plugin views? 

I am keeping my version and not updating the plugin..  but I want to get rid of the notice.. this time..

The Forum post is edited by ross Dec 10 '13
fbkca
fbkca Oct 30 '13
You'll need to modify a value in the ow_base_plugin table.

Find the row that is for the plugin in question and you might be able to get away with changing "Update" field from 1 back to 0.

Changing that value turns the notification on/off anyway.

I don't have one that asking to be updated so I can't test if that is all you need to change. You may need to change the build number too as I'm guessing cron may  check again and see a newer build number and flip the Update value to 1 again to show there is an update....

The Forum post is edited by fbkca Oct 30 '13
dave Leader
dave Oct 30 '13

Thanks fbkca ill give that a shot, was also thinking I might have to add a dummy folder in the update folder of the plugin.  Ill try out what you suggested, good idea.

One reason im doing this is not only do I like my version for the mods I made, but also

"heads up plugin  devs im speaking about you" :)

call me anal or fussy but I am tired of getting production plugins that have a TON of commented out test coding, one plugin in particular in one file has about 4 lines that are active and the rest is a bunch of functions that are all commented out, and not neatly either. It looks horrible, and I would never put anything like that in the hands of the public with my name on it.

Regardless if it is commented out of not or has any effect or not, its messy, its unprofessional, and it looks like a hack job. How about keeping your test code in your test versions and give us a clean crisp version that shows you take pride in what you do. 

Your code and how you display it is what we see, it represents you. If its sloppy then we might assume your sloppy as well.   OK enough preaching here.... sorry  it annoys me to no end when I see that stuff.   

dave Leader
dave Dec 9 '13

The problem with changing the table value is that it is only temporary.  It resets to update in a day or so.    What i want to do is be able to say if the update is for this plugin then bypass the update.  

If i want this update i can always DL it from the store.  I have a custom version of the plugin and i do not want to update it because i do not trust the dev who did it, and i dont want it overwriting my custom work, and i dont want it sitting there waiting to be updated either. 

Maybe it is in the cron file...

fbkca
fbkca Dec 9 '13
You might want to try updating the plugin version field, then. So cron `thinks` you already have it...
The Forum post is edited by fbkca Dec 9 '13
dave Leader
dave Dec 9 '13

Thanks fbkca, 

it is actualy the build field.  I DL the update from the store and then looked at the plugin XML doc to get the build number.  Then updated the build and update fields in the plugin table.  It seems to have worked for the time being.  We will see in a few days if it does not come back..

The Forum post is edited by dave Dec 9 '13
ross Team
ross Dec 10 '13
Dave do you still need to the solution or everything worked out?
The Forum post is edited by ross Dec 10 '13
dave Leader
dave Dec 10 '13

Looks like i got it ross, it appears to be resolved...thanks :)

ross Team
ross Dec 10 '13
So this solution: 

it is actualy the build field.  I DL the update from the store and then looked at the plugin XML doc to get the build number.  Then updated the build and update fields in the plugin table.  It seems to have worked for the time being.  We will see in a few days if it does not come back.." 

works, at least, for you?

dave Leader
dave Dec 11 '13

Yes Sir Ross, seems to have worked, the update has not appeared since. :)