We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Caching | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Abbey
Abbey Nov 5 '13
Can anyone explain what type of caching oxwall uses in plain language for me?

Also I have the Cache extreme plugin, can anyone explain what this does and what template caching and backend caching is, also how often should I clear my cache?

I'm having speed issues on my site currently and was curious if this was relevent.
dave Leader
dave Nov 5 '13

Backend cache is a special caching that is developed inside of the script. Its purpose i to take those elements and or functions which get called often and store them in cache for faster processing. 

Template caching is storing template data into cache for faster processing. 

You typically dont need to clear your tempate cache unless you have made changes to the template files or plugin html files.  PHP files typically process the change without having to clear cache unless the change is actually to that function or element.

When you clear the cache with all 4 options chosen in Cache Exreme you are replacing what is stored in cache and also replacing the files in the ow_static directory.  

I clear mine about 1x a week unless im doing work on the site.  But that is just me, i would think that if no changes to the site at all and just normal operation, maybe 1-2x a month should do it.

Abbey
Abbey Nov 6 '13
Thanks for that, I tried google but most of it was in fancy words I didn't understand
ross Team
ross Nov 11 '13
Dave +1
ross Team
ross Nov 14 '14
this is the event as is, we do not recommend to bind to it as this will break the whole website, as it is strictly used within the certain parts of the software functionality only. 
Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Mar 5 '15

Are you saying we cannot use backend cache in our own plugins?

As Love Oxwall suggests, nowhere is base.cache_backend_init bound to and enabled?

Karl Pietsch
Karl Pietsch Mar 5 '15

actually I'm not using the latest version but still should I not try and enable cache and use

$cacheLifeTime in my queries. I was hoping to use an instance of

BASE_CLASS_CacheBackendMysql

?

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 10 '15
in the database there i think 2 cache  tables db cache etc  that are not being used 
the tables are empty why 
Taissa Team
Taissa Mar 17 '15
Guys, the method which Love Oxwall mentioned has been used before. We have used it to cache the queries. But in the process of development we have found out that it is very complicated to create the system which caches all queries.

The fact is that the conditions for storage and output information are different and depend on plugins' data. And the main issue was inability to develop the base  algorithm which can synchronize data and keep the data integrity. That is why we have abandoned this system.
Nonetheless, some plugins require to cache the queries, so we have implemented simple queries caching system. For example, you can see how this system works in the Newsfeed plugin.

To explain it in a simple way , let's take as a sample the query of selecting all on-line users. Every time when you open the on-line users page, the following query runs:

SELECT * FROM `ow_base_user_online`

And you receive the query result. To optimize this process we can save the result data in the special cache table and then next time when you open the on-line users page, the system will grab the saved result from cache table instead of running the query again.

So, that is how the cache system can be used in our software.
If you need to implement the queries cache system in your own plugin, then implementing such kind of functionality will be most optimal.

Despite the fact that the development of the system that caches all queries has not been completed, we  believe that this kind of functionality is necessary for our software. That is why we  still consider this system development. But it is  very complicated process and it will take pretty much time.
The Forum post is edited by Taissa Mar 24 '15
Heri Bender
Heri Bender Mar 22 '15
it's not getting easier when mixing up the terms request/response (which usually mean HTTP-Request / HTML-Response) and query/result set (usually used for fetching data from db 
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 22 '15
the whole way oxwall drives the database needs a rethink and change so it works with mod security 

all other database driven scripts can run with mod security no problems 

and i have speed plugin that shows db hits and misses and it is showing lots of database misses and is growing fast 
Taissa Team
Taissa Mar 30 '15
Heri Bender, thank you for paying attention to an error in terms. I have corrected my post.

Tammy, could you please specify what challenges have you encountered while working with our database and the mod_security settings. What errors did you get? Please provide us with the detailed steps to reproduce them.
Tammy, as we always said, to solve the issue first of all, we need to reproduce it.
Unfortunately, there is no useful information for us in yours report. If you want us to assist you to solve the issue, it will be good to provide us with more details about issue you have faced: the DB queries log, the speed plugin statistics etc.

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 30 '15
install mod security on your server and turn it on

every action on site  mod security thinks is sql injection or breaks other rules and blocks that person ip addy from the server 

you have to whitelist heaps of rules so you and members dont get blocked from the server  and having these rules opens the server to be hit 

the db misses i think are from chat sometime on open chat it misses the info and you just get spinning wheel
console notifications sometimes say you have 5 new and on open drop down you get blank
box no spinning wheel missed get info and that has happened on oxwall to me twice as well
same for friend request 
everything else seams to be fine 

speed optimizer page

Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 16 '15
Tammy, all the matter is that the mod_security module on your server considers that some actions like the Ajax requests are a threat to the server and block them. This is not the issue of our software or database this is the specificity of mod_security.

You need to change the configuration to make the checking not so strict as it is now. If you look at our server requirements, you'll see that the mod_security (strict configurations) should be off. We ask to disable mod_security module completely, because we do not provide instructions on server configuration. However if you need the server techs should be able to disable some settings of the mod_security module in order to make the feature work on the website and still have the module ON.

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 16 '15
all other scripts work with mod security fine no problems 

but oxwall i have had to whitelist over 50 rules 
and having so many rules white listed is a huge security risk 
its not just ajax requests its just about everything that is inserted into databass by the script 

for security reasons this should be looked at 
any server security feature that has to be turned off or whitelisted to run the script is a huge problem and should be addressed 
Bakolo
Bakolo Aug 9 '23
Hello, no matter what your business is, it will have no boundaries and can easily reach the global level thanks to the website, e-commerce platform and online payment processing software solutions. cashier register software is a service for transferring money in a non-cash way. It is managed by banking and other financial structures. They not only develop rules for uninterrupted operation, but are also directly responsible for conducting transactions, keeping funds in accounts, and so on.