We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

external chat integration (no tyni) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dantes
Dantes Jul 12 '11
hi there...i stop on this
http://www.envolve.com
any one know if i there is any way to integrate the site with this chat?
they said something about making a plug in to do it
but im not a programmer
any ideas?
BR
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 13 '11
You don't need to make a plugin. You just create a custom html box on your main page, paste in the code and make sure the html box is moved to your sidebar, that way it will stay loaded nomatter what page the person visits.

In fact this is quite a cool find. The only downside is that like most other chats there is now way to lock the chat username down to the site user. If it could be integrated into Oxwall's login then this would be a fine edition to any oxwall site.

My problem is that people could call themselves anyone, including admin which will open up for abuse and you have no real moderation with it. *Well you can admin it by setting up moderation in evolve itself and blocking guest sign in.)

Making people join ANOTHER site will annoy them.

But well done for finding this... I am considering how to use this in my site........

If you need any help getting it working on your site PM me...
Dantes
Dantes Jul 13 '11
hi michael thanks for the answer BUT i know how to put it into my website
BUT i note this
and i quote
"If you have a custom website and want to integrate Envolve with your user accounts, you'll need to use our API.

We have libraries available for sites written in PHP, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby and C#, with more coming soon. We strongly recommend developers read the API overview before getting started. There are also additional API options available.
"
that why they said about making a plugin could do the integration
i try to keep my site very customize so i like this kind of stuff...
any idea now?
br.
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 13 '11
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. That will be one for the smarter people! However it is something I personally think oxwall developers should consider as it is a fantastic replacement for tinychat. OK so it is limited to 25 chatters but that shold be something up to the user to consider being a restriction or not.

It does take away from being totally free though which is why I think they are sticking with tinychat for now. But then, any serious social network sites will understand the need for chat and if willing will pay the money!
Dantes
Dantes Jul 13 '11
im running now an external chat with webcam cause my site is an adult site and is impossible not to see a boob :P and tiny ban users for that so im ussing dialogoo.com
not integration at all...but at least is a solution and i can create a room with password and that give it to my users and HOPE not to filter away

so...nobody knows how to use the api key to integrate this ?
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 13 '11
then api key is just a tiny part of it. there must be a way considering evolve can use facebook and so can oxwall. just a matter of getting the right clever person
Dantes
Dantes Jul 13 '11
i hope oxwall team see this!
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 14 '11
evolve will still be restrictive for larger sites with the free 25 chatter limit imposed.
I suppose one of the downfalls for a community site.
Dantes
Dantes Jul 14 '11
but still 25 is a good number...AND at least u can pay anyway
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 14 '11
Oh yes I certainly agree and it is a fantastic find. I just think adding 3rd party plugins onto an opensource site that may require paying will upset some people.

If the chat could integrate with login info thus eliminating people pretending to be someone else then it is perfect for my needs!

Because Oxwall IM and tinychat are integrated then I like it but IF evolve was integrated then I think they are onto a winning solution there!

OXWALL! ARE YOU LISTENING! :o) Please!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Dantes
Dantes Jul 14 '11
yes is a very nice option endeed i cant integrate another chat and thats cousing me some troubles
i really dont think i can customize more my site :P i think is very good looking but im still learning some stuff
and make a plugin would be very nice (almost 15 to 25 people conected at the same time in my site so its very good solution)
anyway...in xitti there is a chat not available to download...im wondering why?
br
The Forum post is edited by Dantes Jul 14 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 14 '11
Hmmmm. I would like to see this Xitti chat... Even if it were a paid plugin....
Dantes
Dantes Jul 14 '11
http://mundohot.xitti.com/
see it there...i was testing with that account
its an empty site so enter just to chek the chat
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jul 14 '11
@Dantes

I believe that the Administration team of Xitti has banned/suspended your site. So we can't check it

Please be noted ...Oxwall Forum is here to help Self-hosted Oxwall users. There is a separate support section for Xitti's Hosted solution . You are more than luckier when using Hosted Solution. You can get more help and things go smoother than Self-hosted Oxwall users

Thank you !
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Jul 14 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 15 '11
I saw the chat and after a search on oxwall the reason we dont get the option of that chat is because that particular chat requires a server side paid by xitti. And because Xitti is a paid area they can do this. Not an option for oxwall.

@Ashok, it was just a demo for me to see the xitti chat!

Options I can see are these...
1: PHPFREECHAT, get that embedded and you have a selve serving chat with the site. No video...
2:Evolve, 25 user chat limit (I don't know if it does video) integrated in a way that usernames are taken from Oxwall to stop people pretending to be someone else.
3: Oxwall to consider finding a way to use Xitti chat in Oxwall. Maybe work out a subscription method where oxwall users can pay to use.
Dantes
Dantes Jul 15 '11
@ashok like michael said it was just an example...my real site is www.mundohot.cl (you can enter with user test pass test) if you want to chek it
is an adult site anyway
the xitti chat is a good option even if you need a separate server (i think we can decide if we can pay it or not...) but i think it can be a good option to have it to download
its very need to have an integrated option but not tiny
the 1 to 1 chat today needs a lot of resources in the server and i cant pay a server bigger than the one im hosting today so not an option
thats why envolve looks like a nice option indeed

BR.
The Forum post is edited by Dantes Jul 15 '11
Dantes
Dantes Jul 16 '11
(is in spanish anyway :P )
James
James Jul 17 '11
Hi Michael and Dantes,

I'm one of the founders of Envolve, I'd love to help get you using Envolve in any way I can. (I'll look into helping Envolve integrate into any Oxwall site)

Please reach out to me at james@envolve.com, I'd love to chat.

Thanks,

James
Dantes
Dantes Jul 18 '11
thanks for it james! we are waiting then :D
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 18 '11
@Dantes I have emailled him. I will keep you posted
Pages: 1 2 »