We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Problems switching default language | Forum

Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
Hi guys, 

First time oxwall user here. I am having trouble setting my website to use a different language than English. 

Basically I've followed the instructions I could find in the forum. Downloaded a language pack, imported it via the settings/lang menu. Then deactivated English and activated my language pack. My pack shows as default and activated. So all looking good from the UI perspective afaik.

However, my website is still in English. Cron task is running and I've even ran it manually after switching languages to see if it could make any difference. 

Any idea of what might be going on or how can I troubleshoot it? 

Thanks.

Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
Forgot to mention that I am running oxwall 1.5.3
The Forum post is edited by Martin Dec 18 '13
Alia Team
Alia Dec 18 '13
Martin, do you mind sharing your lang. pack?
Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
Absolutely not. It's Spanish. 

On my server I can see there is 4 lang php files:

root@Ubuntu-1210-quantal-64-minimal /var/www2 # ls ow_pluginfiles/base/avatars  lang_1.php  lang_2.php  lang_3.php  lang_4.php

_1 is the english, _2 and _3 have empty key values, and _4 has all the spanish key values on it. I assume _2 and _3 are empty due to my several attempts to make this work. 

I was thinking in just manually overwriting lang_1.php with lang_4.php but I wanted to check if there is any not that harsh way to do it. 

Btw, I am not very familiar with oxwall yet but cron does seem to be working fine as just got my smtp setup working nicely few minutes ago.

Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
Oh and my language pack file btw is this one: http://www.oxwall.org/...ng-dump-20-07-13.zip

I picked it up from this thread http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/7215

Alia Team
Alia Dec 18 '13
Martin, I downloaded http://www.oxwall.org/...ng-dump-20-07-13.zip  and installed on my site. All went well. So the issue is on your end only.

Can you make sure once more that Spanish is set to be default and active on your site like shown here:

Front end:

Also try opening your site in  another  browser or cleaning cache and cookies of your current one.
Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
Sure, it's on my end. I could see the language pack worked fine for other people. I just don't know what might be going on or how to fix it. 

This is what my admin page shows:

So, pretty much like yours but the UI shows in English. 

If I open a different browser like for example Safari and clean up all the cookies, cache, etc... I still see the UI in english:

Is there any way to reset the internationalization data? I can see how my English dictionary has +5000 missing keys which does not make sense either... It's like while activating/deactivating things have added up.

The Forum post is edited by Martin Dec 18 '13
Martin
Martin Dec 18 '13
OUCH!!!

I actually found what was going on. I started from scratch and noticed a checkbox at the very bottom "Check all languages for all plugins". I was only checking the language checkbox and as all options appeared as ticked I thought it was enough. 

But now I noticed how clicking on that checkbox at the bottom "ticket" more checkboxes which I actually hadn't seen!!! 

Now all looking good. Thanks for the help Aliia.

Alia Team
Alia Dec 18 '13
:D thanks for sharing what caused that. I would not have even thought to check there.

Nils
Nils Jan 22 '14
I am sorry I do not understand the "answer" about how to clean up the 'missing keys' after a language import?

How do I start from scratch in a live site?

Thanks for your help,

Nils

Alia Team
Alia Jan 24 '14
Nils, can you describe your problem?

What Martin did is just deleted existing Spanish language and imported it again, but this time he checked all checkboxes: