We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

People complain that non-friends can still see timeline messages - Privacy | Forum

Martin
Martin Dec 21 '13
If members put all their privacy settings on "Only Friends", and they put a message on their profile or anywhere else, the message appears on their Newsfeed and can be read by non friends too! We are now losing members because of this, because very private messages were visible for friends-of-friends too!! 

Is there an update for this plugin?  Is there something to do about this problematic exposure of privacy in the Newsfeed?! 

Thanks! 

Martin Beek 

Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Jan 9 '14
Hello Martin,

>>and they put a message on their profile or anywhere else

Can you specify what kind of message and where exactly should I put to reproduce this issue?
Troy Merriam
Troy Merriam Jan 9 '14

Quote from Oxwall Software Hello Martin,

>>and they put a message on their profile or anywhere else

Can you specify what kind of message and where exactly should I put to reproduce this issue?

I've noticed this issue on the Index Page.  when a user changed the profile picture and while playing Mochi games  on my oxwall site.
ricardo
ricardo Feb 1 '14
hello all
i am noticing this problem to, users post something either on "my dashboard" or "main" the content of such post is visible to user that are no friends.
major privacy issue...
any solution for it?
best regards
thanks
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Feb 3 '14
Troy Merriam, I am afraid, that changing avatar is not controlled by settings of "Privacy" plugin and that is why it is visible to everybody.

In case with Mochi games, it is better to contact developer of this plugin.

ricardo, same applies in your case as well. Only actions listed in screen shot bellow are controlled by "Privacy" plugin. Everything else will be publicly visible.

If any action from screen shot bellow is not working on your site, let me know.

ricardo
ricardo Feb 3 '14
Anyone please?
I really need to launch the site and this is a major issue...
Thanks
ricardo
ricardo Feb 3 '14

Quote from Oxwall Software Oxwall Software
Good morning,
Thank you for your replie.
There are many things that are not working correctly.
No friends still see post on main newsfeed.
Also, if a user has privacy to "only friends" and posts a blog, that blog isnt visible to anyone on the site not even to the user himself. If i change that user profile privacy see my blogs to everyone, that blog is visible to everyone.
on videos it does the same also on forum etc...
some phots for example on videos, also has you can see, videos from the same user on the widget shows up, widget of videos from other users.

it means, any entrie where privacy is set to "my friends" is not visible anywhere on the site, not even to the user himself.

I could really need some help with this
Thank you so much

Attachments:
  Selection_006.png (356.3Kb)
  Selection_007.png (393.04Kb)
  Selection_008.png (75.73Kb)
  Selection_009.png (277.02Kb)
ricardo
ricardo Feb 3 '14
by the way
already tried to uninstall / install plugin, deactivate / activate plugin and nothing worked.
Thanks

ricardo
ricardo Feb 4 '14
any help would be appreciated
thanks
ricardo
ricardo Feb 4 '14
here are some others screenshots if it helps to determine the problem...
made coment with user that has all privacy to friends only and it shows on main newsfeed of a user that has no friends.
then on photo.. the same user cannot see his own albumes.

Any insight would be helpfull
thanks

Attachments:
  Selection_011.png (307.8Kb)
  Selection_010.png (326.07Kb)
  Selection_012.png (58.11Kb)
  Selection_013.png (187.91Kb)
  Selection_014.png (254.62Kb)
ricardo
ricardo Feb 4 '14

on admin has you can see it show all albumes, but if i go to photos with user that uploaded the albums there are no albumes... if i change the privacy of photos to everyone it shows albumes and photos....
thanks
ricardo
ricardo Feb 8 '14
hi
any suggestion?
thanks
ricardo
ricardo Feb 9 '14
ok... no aswer in 7 days from problably the most important plugin in a social network...
ricardo
ricardo Feb 12 '14
anyone?

ross Team
ross Feb 27 '14
Ricardo, can you please PM me your admin and Cpanel access details, as none of the stated above cannot be reproduced, so we could check thanks. 
Steve Parkinson
Steve Parkinson May 25 '14
Hi, I'm new to Oxwall. I have the privacy plugin installed but I cannot see the box that allows me to set privacy levels? How do I and the users get to that box??? (I am admin obviously)
Quote from Oxwall Software Troy Merriam, I am afraid, that changing avatar is not controlled by settings of "Privacy" plugin and that is why it is visible to everybody.

In case with Mochi games, it is better to contact developer of this plugin.

ricardo, same applies in your case as well. Only actions listed in screen shot bellow are controlled by "Privacy" plugin. Everything else will be publicly visible.

If any action from screen shot bellow is not working on your site, let me know.

The Forum post is edited by Steve Parkinson May 25 '14
You do not have permission to reply this topic