We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Feature is not working - Members Nearby | Forum

Michael
Michael Jan 1 '14
So this feature i.e "members nearby" and "distance from u" and "country flag" are all down due to http://www.freegeoip.net/ being down.

So if you are wondering why you are getting 500 internal errors on the edit profile page, and other pages that requires these plugins then thats the reason why :(

Hopefully the website comes back up soon if not then these features should be removed from the oxwall store as they no longer work and customers like myself should be refunded

http://www.freegeoip.net/ has been down for 24 hours now
Sen Projects
Sen Projects Jan 1 '14
Hi Michael,

Let's wait for freegeoip to get back soon and if not we will use another service to fetch the data.

Thanks.

Michael
Michael Jan 2 '14
If they cant protect themselves from ddos attacks then it might be best to use another provider like en.utrace.de
Sen Projects
Sen Projects Jan 3 '14
Hi Michael,

freegeoip.net is now up and running maybe they went for maintenance the other day.

Thanks.

Michael
Michael Jan 3 '14
It was a ddos attack, I spoke with the creator

Its also a project website and not a business etc so not sure how reliable it will be in the future
Michael
Michael Jan 3 '14
I'm going to setup our own free ip service on our dedicated server as freegeoip allow you to run your own instance.

What files would need to be altered?

Its also a good idea for big social networks to do this to keep there service running smoothly and to prevent downtime etc  The messy part about freegeoip going down is new users are presented with a 500 internal error as soon as they create there account (looks very bad). Also no one can visit a users profile or edit there profile pages as they also produce 500 internal errors.
You do not have permission to reply this topic