We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

securty steps? | Forum

chris usti
chris usti Jan 3 '14
any steps that are taken to prevent spam / hackers that new installers do?

I have just installed the latest version is 1.5.3 and am a total newbie with oxwall

if so, please share
thanks in advance

chris usti
chris usti Jan 4 '14
update:

at this point I have installed Watchdog and Smart Captcha ... set up questions with answers.

I am also trying to get 'new users' to not be able to post anything then plan on changing them to a role where they can later on ... this one has me stumped how to pull off.  A step by step guide to do this correctly would be nice.  I even read on another post to allow them in a green room to find out if they are spammers or not ... how does one set up a green room though?  That was never mentioned.

Thanks again

Pete
Pete Jan 4 '14

Its very easy to do sweet .Go to your admin/then click on users/then user roles and add a new user role say green room /then look down the page to /Go to(permissions page) to set which features are allowed for specific user roles. click on the link permissions page to do this.

You can change new user permissions also so these members cant post anything

The Forum post is edited by Pete Jan 4 '14
chris usti
chris usti Jan 4 '14
thank you for your reply ...

i did

admin/then click on users/then user roles and add a new user role

i did

Go to(permissions page) to set which features are allowed for specific user roles

but now my 'test' member user role can not be changed, please see:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/15374

MsBree
MsBree Nov 12 '14
What a great idea!  My only question regarding this is when a new user registers, is there an automatic way to start their membership in the "green room" until admin confirms they're not a spammer and then admin can 'move' them to full membership status?
MsBree
MsBree Nov 12 '14
I've basically found my own solution, based on the instructions above.  The 'Free' account is the one I set up with limited access, where all newly registered people are automatically placed.  Then I created a new role called 'Member' which is where actual registered members are moved manually after they've been confirmed to NOT be spammers.  Sure this adds a little extra work on the moderators, but it's better than waking up in the morning to 25 plus spam blog posts that have taken over the main newsfeed!

This prevents real people, whose sole purpose is to register and spam, the inability to do so.  The 'Free' account permissions can always be tweeked, if needed.

Hope this helps someone!