We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Another Solid Bug in Chat Plugin/User Status | Forum

Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma Jul 19 '11
Well, the bug i found is critical..
1. When the user doesn't click sign-out he remains online all the time and its never updated to offline when the user closes his browser without signing out

2. Well this one is quite Crappy.. Anyone can chat with any1 using the chat plugin.
even they are friends, or they are not

Just they have to be a member on the site.. and just go on any1's profile and just click on his status if its online then BINGO..!!

Well this is a big problem and needs to be tackled soon

this is the example as tested on demo.oxwall.org

i m not friend with ny1 there and yet i hv two friends online..

3. Also if a user has 2 or more tabs open from the same site.. then he is unable to signout from the site.. until or unless he closes all the tabs from the same site and logout with a single tab left open
The Forum post is edited by Saurabh Sharma Jul 19 '11
Rivu
Rivu Jul 19 '11
Quote from Saurabh Sharma
Well, the bug i found is critical..
1. When the user doesn't click sign-out he remains online all the time and its never updated to offline when the user closes his browser without signing out

Please Ckeck your cron job settings. If cron job works correctly this is not expected/possible to be happened.

The Forum post is edited by Rivu Jul 19 '11
Saurabh Sharma
This even works on Oxwall Demo platform LOL
the screenshot that i have attached is of demo.oxwall.org

nd my cron jobs are running smoothly
Anthony
Anthony Jul 19 '11
Wow, lol. (@Rivu)

@Saurahb: This very well could just be a glitch in the installation that they might have not fully checked. (Which is highly likely)
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 19 '11
I just tried the "chat with non friends" and yes I can confirm that if you click on the "ONLINE" label in the avatar of the user in their profile you can indeed chat with them.

Could an Oxwall Developer tell us if it is meant to be this way or is it a wee bug.

With regards to the signing out problem. I have had no issues with this. OK people do hang on if they dont sign out properly but they do eventually go. My cron is set for every 15 mins and that can be troublesome. Mind you that is the only hangup I have with my host.
Saurabh Sharma
@Michael: My cron are running every minute.. and still its the problem..

And what about issue 3?
The Forum post is edited by Saurabh Sharma Jul 19 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 19 '11
Well if you are logged in you are logged in. I can only assume your host session will stay open until you close all browser tabs relating to the site. It is a similar thing to trying to log on as 2 differnt people using the same browser. It doesn't work for me. I have to use 2 different browsers to do that.

With your Users staying online for so long after thet disconnect, this is something to do with a session cache or something within oxwall and host settings.

From my personal experience and opinion the onlyu thing I need clarification on from Oxwall is the ability to chat to non friends if it is by design or a bug.
The rest needs more investigation for point 2.
Point 3 I would expect it to act like that with multiple tabs open.
Anthony
Anthony Jul 19 '11
How can you set to chat with nonfriends?
Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma Jul 20 '11
Quote from Michael
Well if you are logged in you are logged in. I can only assume your host session will stay open until you close all browser tabs relating to the site. It is a similar thing to trying to log on as 2 differnt people using the same browser. It doesn't work for me. I have to use 2 different browsers to do that.

With your Users staying online for so long after thet disconnect, this is something to do with a session cache or something within oxwall and host settings.

From my personal experience and opinion the onlyu thing I need clarification on from Oxwall is the ability to chat to non friends if it is by design or a bug.

The rest needs more investigation for point 2.

Point 3 I would expect it to act like that with multiple tabs open.

But Michael, U cant logout if u have more tabs open of the same site.. u can also try it.. i think u didn't get what i explained earlier..

well it just needs to end session

U know.. i have not seen this trouble of logging out on any other site ever..

nd yea.. no 1 can login from 2 diff. users on a single browser.. coz the 1st step of oxwall is Session Check so if there is a session how can any 1 login from any other credentials? its not possible!

Quote from Anthony
How can you set to chat with nonfriends?

And @Anthony: Chill man, u know how developers work? Being a developer is not an easy job man.. I stay upto 3am at night and almost daily writing the source for my university projects and i have university at 7am..

Well nevermind..

Well all i can assure u that there will be a solution..:)
The Forum post is edited by Saurabh Sharma Jul 20 '11
Den Team
Den Jul 20 '11
Ok, let's make it clear one by one :)

It was already discussed here, here and here. If you don't have specific session settings, then in most cases you have an incorrect cronjob setup. Or we didn't fully understand your issue.

2. Well this one is quite Crappy.. Anyone can chat with any1 using the chat plugin.

even they are friends, or they are not

Yes, that's right :) With next update, Instant Chat will be allowed to work in two modes: friends only and all members. Admin will be allowed to configure this in plugin settings.

3. Also if a user has 2 or more tabs open from the same site.. then he is unable to signout from the site.. until or unless he closes all the tabs from the same site and logout with a single tab left open

Just tested on demo.oxwall.org : opening two tabs, click logout on first and press F5 on second - in both tabs user was logged out.
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 20 '11
Thanks Addenster for the clarification. :D
I for one will sleep better at night.
Saurabh Sharma
Saurabh Sharma Jul 20 '11
3rd one works for me too now..:D
and i have seen the threads for the 1st one.. and problem solved..:)

Just left with 2nd one..:D
Rivu
Rivu Jul 20 '11
Nice to hear it worked for you. :)
The Forum post is edited by Rivu Jul 20 '11
Trend Wise
Trend Wise Sep 1 '23
It sounds like you've identified some critical issues in a web application or website. These issues could indeed have a significant impact on the user experience and security. Here are some insights into each of the problems you've mentioned: Persistent Online Status: This issue is related to how the website handles user sessions and their online status. When a user doesn't click "sign-out," their session may remain active even after they close their browser. This can be a serious privacy and security concern. To address this problem, the website should implement a session timeout mechanism. Sessions should automatically expire after a certain period of inactivity. Additionally, sessions should be properly terminated when users log out or close the browser. Chat Plugin Privacy and Security: The ability for anyone to chat with any user without any restrictions can pose privacy and security risks. Users should have control over who can initiate conversations with them. To enhance privacy and security, the website should implement features such as friend requests, privacy settings, and user blocking. These features allow users to manage their interactions and control who can send them messages. Inability to Sign Out with Multiple Tabs: This issue is related to how the website handles user sessions across multiple tabs. Users should be able to log out from any tab, and it should log them out from all active sessions. To resolve this, the website should maintain session state consistently across tabs and ensure that logging out from one tab effectively logs the user out from all other tabs. These issues require careful consideration and technical adjustments to improve the website's functionality and security. It's crucial to report these problems to the website's developers or administrators so they can address them promptly. In the meantime, users should exercise caution and manually log out of the website to protect their privacy and security. custom logo designer