We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Privacy settings ? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Hamster Trainer
Hamster Trainer Jul 23 '11
Hi,
is it right that oxwall has no privacy options ?

Hamster Trainer
thx for the quick answer.
no core privacy and the "not really Free" lizence is a "no go"

bye bye oxwall :(
The Forum post is edited by Hamster Trainer Jul 23 '11
Hamster Trainer
hi,

From the wikipedia:

“[…] the Original Developer may include […] a requirement that each time an Executable and Source Code or a Larger Work is launched or initially run […] a prominent display of the Original Developer's Attribution Information […] must occur on the graphic user interface employed by the end user to access such Covered Code […] ”

every module with this license can output the "Author information" on the website

you are "not really free" to change the source.

Michael Leader
Michael Jul 24 '11
As far as I am aware all Oxwall asked for is to have the "Powered by Oxwall" displayed on your site.
After that you are free to change whatever you like with no concequences.

Is it such a problem?
Hamster Trainer
Hamster Trainer Jul 24 '11
The "Powered by Oxwall" is not the Problem.

The great Problem is:
Every Module or Theme can display a "Copyright Information" on your Website.

not only in the source ... it can display on your "User GUI".

Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Oct 25 '11
I'm new to this and trying to explore the functionallity of Oxwall.

I included the Privacy plug-in and selected "only me" for the photo albums, but when I log out and enter my test page off loged I still can see the uploaded photo quite big in the newsfeed on the main page... Is this supposed to function like this?
Den Team
Den Oct 26 '11
Hi
How did you upload these photos? Did you upload it from photos plugin or just put it from newsfeed?
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Oct 26 '11

Quote from Addenster Hi
How did you upload these photos? Did you upload it from photos plugin or just put it from newsfeed?

On my testsite at wall.fm I use Graphite+sidebar theme and I just clicked on "photo" from the "add new"-toolbar in the sidebar. I did not use any photos plugin, and it was not a newsfeed with attached photo...

The image in question is the good looking woman at the top of the newsfeed at this url http://verkmac.wall.fm/ - if you click it you don't have accress ... but you've seen it already :-)

Thankful for any help to understand how this works.

As a general comment I would like to say that I'm rather impressed of oxwall software - its a lot of functionallity covered.
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Oct 26 '11
Sorry - I double checked - there was a photo-plugin activated, and I guess that's the one that are used by the "add new"-button.
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Oct 27 '11
I've tested some more and there are some holes in the privacy plugin or settings.
When I selected "only me" in the privacy tab uploaded pictures no longer display in the newsfeed - that's great, but if a guest is clicking "browse by tag" it's still possible to see a thumbnail of the picture. And my friends will still be able to see the pictures in my albums...
I can't go live with a site without a waterproof privacy plugin...
Den Team
Den Oct 27 '11
Ok, thank you for report. I will send this report to wall.fm support team.
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Dec 2 '11
Some more on the privacy/photo issue;
If you get access to to a private photo thumbnail by "browse by tag" (http://verkmac.wall.fm/photo/viewlist/tagged/leedaal) you are also able to get access to the full view version of the picture - you just copy the full url to the thumbnail;
http://white.staticfly.net/...photo_preview_33.jpg
and then you delete "_preview" - and woops - the full view is showing :-(
http://white.staticfly.net/...s/photo/photo_33.jpg

Is someone working on this issue. It's far beyond my competence...
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Dec 2 '11
And again some more on the privacy issue;
Privacy is set to "photoalbums - Only me".
Uploaded pictures to a new album, and they still are visible in the newsfeed for everybody!

When I changed my privacy setting to "my friends" and then back to "Only me" it disappears. I guess it's not ment to function that way... 
Michael Leader
Michael Dec 2 '11
I will apologise in advance if this is a dumb question to ask...
When you post up an image and it appears in newsfeed, try logging out and in again and do the same thing.  Also try just refreshing your browser.

Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Dec 5 '11
I've just done what you suggested, and new uploads are still visible in newsfeed.

The only thing that works is the following workflow:

Upload new image to album (or to a new album)
Change the privacy setting from "Only me" to "My friends/Everybody".
Log out
Wait for some minutes
Change privacy setting back to "Only me"
Log out
Wait for aprox. 10 minutes (!) and the uploaded image is hidden from the newsfeed.

This is (for me) a to complicated privacy workflow to go live with ...
Hilmar Loland
Hilmar Loland Dec 5 '11
And all images are still visible via the browse by tag...
Den Team
Den Dec 7 '11
Thanks for report Hilmar. This is a bug. Will be fixed with new update.