We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

remove avatars from links widget | Forum

Kyle
Kyle Jan 24 '14
Need help removing the user avatar's from the "links" widget (oxwall plugin)
Kyle
Kyle Jan 25 '14
anyone anyones??
Daisy Team
Daisy Jan 27 '14
Kyle, to remove the avatars from the Links widget you should make changes in the following files:

/ow_plugins/links/components/links_widget.php
/ow_plugins/links/views/components/links_widget.html
Kyle
Kyle Feb 11 '14
i removed everything related to user id and avatars from those files. but it still displays the avatar box. any help would be great
dave Leader
dave Feb 11 '14
I dont think you really want to remove the id structure, that is used to post who added the link in the db in several places if i recall.  All you want to do if i understand thisl is just remove the avatar display correct?
The Forum post is edited by dave Feb 11 '14
dave Leader
dave Feb 11 '14
ok i think i got it for you...  put your files back the way they were originally first.  

The reason you cant just remove the avatar from the html is because it appears the content is built before the html file so its all inclusive you cant just remove one item per say from the html without removing the whole content.   The avatar css comes from photo_floatbox.html

So what i did was i attacked this issue from the php side.  So that the avatar data never gets passed to the links content array build in the first place.  The only thing that is passed is a null like so ''.. 

Here is what i did and the avatar went away. 

open ow_plugins/links/components/links_widget.php

scroll down about half way and you will see this line

$avatars = BOL_AvatarService::getInstance()->getDataForUserAvatars($authorIdList, true, false);

This line actually grabs the avatars data for the users

so all we have to do is just comment that out like so and then just make it null. 

// mod keep avatars from showing on widget by loading data with null value

// $avatars = BOL_AvatarService::getInstance()->getDataForUserAvatars($authorIdList, true, false);
$avatars = '';

thats it... try it...    Now the only thing i did not do was turn on debug to see if it was pulling an error or not (warning and notice is fine)  if no actual error then your good to go.. 

Also remember that any custom mods you do need to be put back when an update is performed as it will overwrite the changes.  So make a list of your changes always. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Feb 11 '14