We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Groups Control for our Non Profit | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
GH
GH Feb 10 '14
Hi,
A couple of years ago, I built a great site with Oxwall.. I gave up however because there was a very basic feature missing for me.. Im wondering if it is posible now 2 years later..

We have a Non Profit.. We take college students to mexico to do service. We have a group going about every 6 weeks. What we want is to build a site that can be seen by anyone.. But

1. each Group of kids that goes on the trip, signs up on our site, and is assigned to a private Group. ONLY the participants in the trip/expedition can post.. It would give them a wall of sorts, a journal of their trip,  On a like facebook..

2. The general Public can Follow the trip (And Any other old ones), see what they are working on, photos , comments by the kids etc..

3. Once the expedition/trip is over.. it becomes read only.. It now acts a PR for anyone wanting to see or review all of the past trips.. The groups would be in Date order, with the CURRENT expedition first..

So, in essence, I need to be able to choose which users can participate in a certain group.  They can ONLY post in a group that they are assigned to.

Anyone can read anything on the site..

Im really surprised that no one has done this.. Its one thing that facebook hasnt done.. On facebook, you would have to create a page , one for each expedition.. but you would be left with dozens of independent pages.. and nothing to link them together for a history of sorts..

Any ideas?

The Forum post is edited by GH Feb 10 '14
ross Team
ross Feb 10 '14
Hi, 

yes, you can create a group, where only members of the group can post, however it is a custom code modification to assign people automatically to the group after joining the website

other website members can follow the group and won't be able to post anything in there, just viewing

Group turns into read-only also considered as a custom code modification. 

Yes, you can choose users who will be a participant, but first you need to befriend with them and choose from the friends list. 

GH
GH Feb 11 '14
one of the biggest downfalls  in facebook is..

1. A friend cant share a photo to another friends album. It goes on the general photos..
2. Facebook only has ONE timeline.. so comments are all intermingled.. Hence, on facebook you have to wade though a bunch of irrelevant stuff if you have multi events going on at the same time.. Its impossible to follow..

For this reason, Oxwall.org..

Is there someone out there that could give me an idea of what these mods would cost?

dave Leader
dave Feb 11 '14
Well as far as the read only issue you can just set the admin as the only member after they are done posting and then they should be able to view it but not post unless they are a member, that sounds right... 

My advice would be to download oxwall and install it, its free what do you have to lose. And it will actually save you time because if it works for you, then you wont have to waste time with something else. 

So give it a try, just install it in a test subdomain, have your tech people do this for you and then play with it and see if it will works.   If you need a little tweek here or there, its possible.  

I think it will work for most of what you want, and the rest will come in time. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Feb 11 '14
ross Team
ross Feb 11 '14
GH, please your post is not relevant to the title, create a post in the custom code modification section