We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Server Timeouts | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Gayla Worrell
Gayla Worrell Feb 22 '14
I'm getting a lot of server timeouts, site slowdowns and bad gateway errors on the new site we launched a week ago yesterday.  I spoke with the hosting provider and they don't show any record of any downtime or any disruptions on their end.

I also noticed that I have the same issues accessing oxwall.org sometimes.  For example, so far today I've received a bad gateway error about every other time I try to switch pages in the forums.

Since I don't have this issue with anything other than my new Oxwall site and oxwall.org, is this something inherent with the functionality of Oxwall? 

Is there some way to fix it? 

John
John Feb 22 '14
I'm having similar problems accessing the Oxwall site. I often get a message saying the site is down.

I'm also testing Oxwall on a server on my PC and the pages take longer to resolve than they do on my hosted server. Once problem is that a new installation points to index.php and gets a page not found error, which I think is the main page that I haven't set up yet.

Some very long delays started to occur after I set debug mode to on.
Demmy Wilson
Demmy Wilson Feb 24 '14
@Gayla, this isn't going to help you, but as we seem to be constantly talking amongst ourselves, any information, good or bad, may help.

Debug was slowing my site down to a crawl. When I turned it off, all came good again. Therefore, I only run it when I absolutely have to.

I have Oxwall running on three servers including WAMP. Each server is seeing things differently and I'm loosing my patience. What works here, doesn't work there. Simple annoying things which to me sound like Oxwall is pushing PHP to its limits, too fast! The people who respond to our questions say "Permissions, permissions, permissions" but if they're are so important, why aren't they mentioned in the Install instructions?

On one server I can't get the My Profile and Add New widgets to be surrounded by boxes. On another server they are. I read somewhere that a Beta Tester or team member (Ross I think) is regularly tweaking his script to overcome minor issues. Maybe the issues I'm having are the ones he's tweaking?

On my WAMP server, I can enter http://mysite/index and get the main page which I can then customise. On two hosted servers all I get is a 404 error. the URL http://mysite.com/index/ isn't recognised.

I spent more time trying to get this script (1.6) to work than I've ever spent on any other script including Zen Cart which is massive compared to Oxwall.

Sadly the worst problem is the response time on this forum. The other day I noticed several Spam messages that were a few days old lurking in places. They're probably still there.

This isn't criticism. Many forums are next to useless, but one run by WYSIWYG Web Builder is amazing. Every question is answered the same day and they don't have a single disgruntled user. They charge about $30 for a program that would blow Oxwall away and that's the difference. They're not relying on volunteers who are too busy tweaking their own scripts to answer questions. I'd happily charge $30-50 for a script with support and maybe a few enterprising Oxwall team members could consider creating a supported Fork.

Far too many forum questions go unanswered simply because too many users like you and I aren't answering them. How can we, we don't have a clue! We're leaving that up to the team to answer and that's where the problem starts and ends..
Daisy Team
Daisy Feb 27 '14
Guys, for now Oxwall official site has some problems caused by the Store plugin jointly with the high users activity. Our community grows very fast and as it's stated in our logs we've reached approximately 100 users online at once which results in low site performance. But our technicians are working on the Store plugin optimization and the situation will become better soon.

As for the problems related to your sites - the site performance directly depends on capacity of the server your site is hosted on. Let's analyse each case you've reported:

Quote from Gayla Worrell I'm getting a lot of server timeouts, site slowdowns and bad gateway errors on the new site we launched a week ago yesterday. I spoke with the hosting provider and they don't show any record of any downtime or any disruptions on their end.

First of all, the downtimes always happen on the server side, the software cannot go down. If there was a downtime on the server, the record about it should always be logged in the server logs.  

If you get 500.phtml page or any software errors - this means that the problem was caused by the software and can be easily solved. You just need to provide us with the error.

If you cannot open your site it's not necessary that the server was down - there are a lot of reasons why your site does not open. To find the cause of the problem fist of all you should check the error message the browser says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Then when you find out the error message, you can suspect whether the server/ registrar or the software has caused the problem. Thus, to give you the exact reason of what exactly happened on your site, we need you to provide us with the error message first.

Quote from John I'm having similar problems accessing the Oxwall site. I often get a message saying the site is down. I'm also testing Oxwall on a server on my PC and the pages take longer to resolve than they do on my hosted server. Once problem is that a new installation points to index.php and gets a page not found error, which I think is the main page that I haven't set up yet. Some very long delays started to occur after I set debug mode to on.

The problem with the page loading may be caused by:
- the server capacity;
- the third-party plugins ;
- the site graphics;
- the site content;
- the internet connection;
- the page you are trying to open;
- and a lot of other reasons.

We can suggest that you contact your hosting provider and ask them to provide you with the logs of the queries which cause the delays and send them to us along with the detailed description of the problem. We will check the log and try to find the solution for you.

@Demmy,
You have reported a lot of unconnected fragments of the issues.
Let's check into them one-by-one.

Quote from Demmy Wilson Debug was slowing my site down to a crawl. When I turned it off, all came good again. Therefore, I only run it when I absolutely have to.

Yes, Debug mode is a powerful and complex system which requires a lot of resources, that's why it's turned off and should be turned on only if it's necessary.

Quote from Demmy Wilson
I have Oxwall running on three servers including WAMP. Each server is seeing things differently and I'm loosing my patience. What works here, doesn't work there. Simple annoying things which to me sound like Oxwall is pushing PHP to its limits, too fast! The people who respond to our questions say "Permissions, permissions, permissions" but if they're are so important, why aren't they mentioned in the Install instructions?

What limits and permissions exactly you are talking about? What hosting company and plan your site is hosted on? What number of users online and in general do you have? What's the rate of your site traffic?

Quote from Demmy Wilson On one server I can't get the My Profile and Add New widgets to be surrounded by boxes. On another server they are. I read somewhere that a Beta Tester or team member (Ross I think) is regularly tweaking his script to overcome minor issues. Maybe the issues I'm having are the ones he's tweaking?

This report is odd, because you are talking about the theme and widget configuration which should have nothing to do with the server configuration. If you'd described this issue in more details and again at least provided us with the screenshots - our assistance would be more effective.

Quote from Demmy Wilson On my WAMP server, I can enter http://mysite/index and get the main page which I can then customise. On two hosted servers all I get is a 404 error. the URL http://mysite.com/index/ isn't recognised.

This error says that you have no mod_rewrite installed or configured incorrectly on your server. When you select the hosting provider you should always check whether their servers meet our requirements: http://www.oxwall.org/hosting

And finally your frustration about the assitance on our forum.

Oxwall is free open source community which provides free and flexible PHP/MySQL social networking software platform.
This forum is the extensive knowledgebase where everyone can find plenty common solutions.
There are a lot of duplicated problems just because majority of customers do not want to search. We believe this is unfair to our team that we should spend time to looking for the existing solution whereas we can assist with the new questions and issues.
Despite of this, if we found the request essential for major developers, we would post the approximate solution. We always do our best to answer all the questions, but you are right, there are a lot of questions and it takes quite enough time to address at least a half of them. However, we believe that developers should find the solutions themselves and help to each other. This is how the open source community works.

Demmy, If you would like to receive timely personal support - you always have a choice. Recently we launched the Premium Support service. You can find all the companies which provide the paid support service here: http://www.oxwall.org/services

Hereunder, all I want to say here is that the each situation is unique and individual and that there are huge amount of causes which result in this or that site work interruption or loading delays. If you have problems and want to solve them, please address them to our team with the detailed description of the problem, server configuration, third-party plugins and browser name/version you are using; screenshots and explanation on how we can reproduce the problem. We will do our best to assist you and I strongly believe that all this information will speed up the problem resolving.
The Forum post is edited by Daisy Feb 27 '14