We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How do I block every country bar two? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Mar 1 '14
I'm setting up two sites, one for Australian and New Zealand users and one for my local area. Neither site will be of interest to anyone else and I'm hoping to avoid some spam by limiting access on both sites.

I see that you can write several hundred of IP deny codes into .htaccess, but is there some way you can enter a dozen or so "allow" codes instead? I saw a site that offered this, but on close examination, only denies were being offered.

Ta.

John
John Mar 1 '14
Hi Chris. If that works it will be great. When I looked at another similar site, there seemed to be a thousand denies. maybe your file which isn't anywhere near as large is blocking larger groups.

(Edit) I did go to the site and downloaded a similar file. The small pint says the free version only allows you to download one country at a time. Even the registered version limits you to 30 countries. As there are hundreds, it may take forever or maybe a little longer. That's why I thought there must be an alternative "allow" command.

I'll do a trace on a few addresses and see what I come up with.

Some people argue that the Internet should be shared by all if it's to retain its usefulness. In some ways I agree with this, but as an Aussie, I'm constantly being told by sites like Sony, Google Books and the like that I'm forbidden.

Gee, I just read your profile. I hope you're having a great life.
The Forum post is edited by John Mar 1 '14