We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Premium Membership help ? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Craig
Craig Mar 5 '14
Hi all i have default role thing(free) and i created another one called VIP but how do i make that a paid plan so people need to pay via paypal become a VIP, theres a site listed in oxwall donators list and it has an upgrade link in th nav bar, could someone help me out thanks.
Also on sign up i tested it and theres no option there either.
John
John Mar 5 '14
Craig, Read this tutorial:  http://docs.oxwall.org/plugin-tuts:membership

You need a plugin and a payment gateway. I haven't read it carefully yet but you can allow guests to visit the site for a short while to get a taste, then they have to sign up for a specific membership level. I think the plugin covers most scenarios.

Out of the box, Oxwall is a free site.

I'll be doing this soon, but I've got other concerns right now.

John
ross Team
ross Mar 5 '14
John +1

Craig you need to obtain paid membership plugin first: http://www.oxwall.org/store/search/plugin?q=membership

Joseph
Joseph Mar 8 '14
also you will need the paypal plugin as well they are not sold as 1 package http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/34
Shaun
Shaun Mar 8 '14
I don't know what site your running but if it contains adult related material it might be worth looking for an alternative to the paypal plugin.  last i heard they were not allowing adult sites to use their services.
Joseph
Joseph Mar 8 '14
I would suggest http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/329 for adult sites it is more expensive than the ccbill plugin but ccbill requires a 700 dollar fee to get started. Zombaio will allow you to work through their different markets and get set up for free to take credit card payments.
David Lee
David Lee Apr 10 '14
Looking at the "Paypal plugin" I see that there was a comment back in November 2013 that hasn't been responded to:

"Works as intended but needs a little modification The draw back is that this plugin uses a 'paypal merchant ID' rather than a paypal account email address to connect to paypal. 'Paypal merchant ID's' are the old way of connecting to one's paypal account on a payment gateway. Now paypal can encrypt your email address address for better security."

So, sounds like it's using old outdated Paypal procedures - I don't see any others that are available using current Paypal email address.

Any plans to get more plugins, or update the current one?  (maybe the author reads this thread).
ross Team
ross Apr 11 '14
David please see this post: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/17496 .
David Lee
David Lee Apr 13 '14

Hi Ross,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm just trying to get people to pay for memberships.  It appears that your suggestion is to install a whole e-commerce solution, just in order to be able to pay for membership?

It seems a bit "overkill" for a simple paypal solution (which - in the case of a "social networking" package - I think should be built in anyway).

If it's truly the only option I suppose I would be forced to install it, but I had hoped there was a simpler, smaller-footprint option.

Thank you again for your assistance.

David

ross Team
ross Apr 14 '14
David I meant merchant ID is usually just the e-mail you used while setting up your paypal account. Your members will be still redirected to the paypal page to pay you for the memberships. You will just need to indicate your merchant ID in the paypal settings in the admin panel of your oxwall powered website. No need to install any other e-commerce solution
The Forum post is edited by ross Apr 14 '14
falancas
falancas Apr 14 '15

Quote from Joseph I would suggest http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/329 for adult sites it is more expensive than the ccbill plugin but ccbill requires a 700 dollar fee to get started. Zombaio will allow you to work through their different markets and get set up for free to take credit card payments.

They (Oxwall Accessories) do not reply to private messages.Help me!!!!!
dave Leader
dave Apr 14 '15
I dont want to toss a wrench into the gears here, or step on any toes.  But what i do is i have a normal paypal button that says site gift (dont use donation because if you are not non profile org paypal will have a fit) and then when someone gives a gift i just upgrade their account.  Unless you are dealing with tons of transactions daily then this solution works.   It also means that you can use your generic paypal business account for gifts rather than having to have a special merchant or account for adult transactions. 

Just set up a new page and put your paypal button on there, use buy now option and use your own button that says site gift.  Easy Peasy !

Here is what ours looks like... 

Hope that helps 

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 15 '15

Quote from dave I dont want to toss a wrench into the gears here, or step on any toes.  But what i do is i have a normal paypal button that says site gift (dont use donation because if you are not non profile org paypal will have a fit) and then when someone gives a gift i just upgrade their account.  Unless you are dealing with tons of transactions daily then this solution works.   It also means that you can use your generic paypal business account for gifts rather than having to have a special merchant or account for adult transactions. 

Just set up a new page and put your paypal button on there, use buy now option and use your own button that says site gift.  Easy Peasy !

Here is what ours looks like... 

Hope that helps 

theres a sponcer plugin in store i played with it fair wile ago and looked when i have time to actualy set it up il let u know what i think od it 
dave Leader
dave Apr 15 '15
Thanks Tammy :)
tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 15 '15
as for roles and payed membership all is a bit stupid and a waste of time as acccounts and roles are not hooked 

so if you have 2 accounts free and vip with different questions 
and 2 roles free and vip
you can hook cip account to vip role 
but the other way around does not work
so if a person is free and pays to be vip roll they do not become vip account 
and get the bonus questions of that account 

dave Leader
dave Apr 15 '15
The only real reason that i have the two types of accounts is when you add the second type, it allows you to split your registration page into two pages and i like that.