We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

migrating to a different hosting company | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
vap
vap Aug 9 '11
Greetings. I love oxwall. I recently left godaddy, and moved to another provider. I was wondering if anyone had a link to a document that let me know how to migrate my social network. I feel like all I need to do is upload the sql database and direct the install to it. I have tried that, and it said that the SQL should be empty. does anyone have a link to a walkthrough
?
bob daubney
bob daubney Aug 9 '11
I need it 2
vap
vap Aug 10 '11
I'm begining to think it is not possible...which is annoying... :/
Rivu
Rivu Aug 10 '11
Hi, these are not hard things. I have personal interest in working with oxwall. You can contact me if you need any help in migration, I'm available for free.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 13 '11
It is possible,
Copy your entire oxwall site to your hard drive
Make a full backup of your database using the export function in phpmyadmin
 IF you are moving the DNS for your website name make sure that is pointing to your new host.

Upload the oxwall files from your hard drive to your new site.
Create a new database in your new host.
using phpmyadmin import the backup you took into your new database.

Now using either the filemanager provided in your host cpanel or using ftp browse to the "ow_includes" folder of your site.  You want to edit config.php.
In the file you will see at the top the details of your site website name, the database host, database username and database password.

You will need to make sure the website address in this file is the same as your host. Assuming you moved the website DNS this should not change.
Now you need to enter in the Hostname of your mysql server. 
Now edit the username in that file to be the username you set for your new database.
Edit the password in that file for the database to what you set it to in your new host database you created.
Edit the name of the database as you set in your new host database.

That SHOULD be it.  It is harder to explain than to do.  The longest part will be moving your files from old to new host.  The rest take minutes to do.
David A
David A Feb 2 '13
Is it possible to change the name of the oxwall folder?   It is currently held at www.mydomain.com/foldername and I would like to change it to www.mydomain.com/NEWfoldername
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Yes. Its possible. You should do the necessary changes to the config.php file.
Alia Team
Alia Feb 3 '13
Alia Team
Alia Feb 3 '13
+1 to Purusothaman's reply.
David A
David A Feb 5 '13
Thank you both for you quick response.

Tester
Tester Feb 6 '13
Also ... Some hosting sites will do it for you FREE upon request.
David A
David A Feb 6 '13
good to know.