We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

About Me Box in Profile. No Pagination | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
John
John Apr 8 '14
The "About Me" box in Oxwall seems to have a mind of its own. When you type in lovely paragraphs about yourself, it looks great in Profile Edit and View my Profile.

However, when a visitor views your profile, all the pagination is stripped!

Am I missing something.

Picture 1 shows About me in both edit and view mode.

Picture 2 shows what the visitor sees.

ross Team
ross Apr 8 '14
John can you please specify what you mean by pagination?
John
John Apr 9 '14
Sorry Ross, Pagination means the way pages are arranged. In the above photos, I've created paragraphs 1, 2 and 3. In HTML they would be separated by </br> or <p>, but Oxwall has stripped out all the html and placed the the paragraphs one after the other.

If someone writes a lengthy About Me containing several paragraphs, Oxwall displays it as one huge paragraph.

Oxwal only dose this on a profile seen by a visitor (second photo). The owner of the profile sees the text as it should be.

I thought admin/settings/user settings/content imput/Text content/Disable custom HTML (unticked) would do it, but that doesn't seem to work.

Here's a better example:

(Above) As seen on my my own profile page and how it should be.

(Above) How the visitor sees it. All formatting gone.
John
John Apr 9 '14

Quote from John Sorry Ross, Pagination means the way pages are arranged. "Formatting" would have been better.

In the above photos, I've created paragraphs 1, 2 and 3. In HTML they would be separated by <br> or <p>, but Oxwall has stripped out all the html and placed the the paragraphs one after the other.

If someone writes a lengthy About Me containing several paragraphs, Oxwall displays it as one huge paragraph.

Oxwal only dose this on a profile seen by a visitor (second photo). The owner of the profile sees the text as it should be.

I thought admin/settings/user settings/content imput/Text content/Disable custom HTML (unticked) would do it, but that doesn't seem to work.

Here's a better example:

(Above) As seen on my my own profile page and how it should be.

(Above) How the visitor sees it. All formatting gone.

The Forum post is edited by John Apr 9 '14
ross Team
ross Apr 9 '14
This is how it works by default
John
John Apr 9 '14
That's shear madness! The about me box is one of the most important areas on almost every social networking site out there. People should be able to set paragraphs, indent bold, center, bullet - you name it.

It's just wiped out two projects I had planned for this script.

Sadly, I think it's about time for a fork!

Wikipedia:  In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a copy of source code from one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct piece of software. The term often implies not merely a development branch, but a split in the developer community, a form of schism.[1]

Free and open-source software is that which, by definition, may be forked from the original development team without prior permission without violating any copyright law. However, licensed forks of proprietary software (e.g. Unix)