We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to add an asterisk to required questions in the join form? | Forum

Kali
Kali Apr 20 '14
Hello,

I would like to add an asterisk to required questions in the join form, because now it's hard for my members to know which questions are mandatory or not. Could you tell me how to do that, or in which file? Thanks :)
Kali
Kali Apr 20 '14
Sure it would work, but I was hoping for something more automatic, so still hoping to get some answer from the team. But thank you for your answer, I'll definitely do that if no better answer comes up :)
Kali
Kali Apr 22 '14
So no answer from the staff? :(
Jose
Jose Apr 22 '14
just add an asterisc to the ow_system_plugins\base\views\controllers\join_index.html file after every field you want to be shown as mandatory
John
John Apr 23 '14
Kali and Jose, it's very dangerous to make changes to the Oxwall Core. Not only could it affect some plugins, you could and probably will loose all your changes when you migrate to the next version 1.6.1.

The changes you wish to make are very easy. You may need to reduce the number of Asterisk to fit the area available but try adding a couple of spaces after a word to force **Required** to go to the next line.

Okay, here's how it's done:

1. Go to Admin/Settings/Language

2. Enter "Base" from the dropdown where it it says Show All Sections

3. EnterGender in the search box.

4. Look for "Gender" in the search results for Base and change it to Gender   **Required** (notice I've added a couple of spaces.)

5. Click Save

6. View your results

7. Repeat fr additional items. (This is how all word and phrase changes are made in Oxwall's Core and Plugins.)

----------------------------

Then you can do something fancy (I think) by adding colour. It worked for me:

In step 3, add a <font color=> code:

Gender <font color="red">Required</font>

You can use words like red, green, blue, yellow.

Enjoy!

The Forum post is edited by John Apr 23 '14
Kali
Kali Apr 26 '14
Awesome, thank you :)
Mark
Mark Apr 28 '14

What we did is edit the welcome message on the join page

search for the following:

Join our fast-growing community. Find new friends, date up, share photo and video. Enjoy!

You can edit this area to say something like

Join our fast-growing community. Find new friends, date up, share photo and video. Enjoy!<br><br><b>*</b> = Required Field

we then when through on the login / edit form and changed all the required field names

* Login Name

* Email Address

ect....

Seems to have stopped the user created errors on the join form

Hope this helps

The Forum post is edited by Mark Apr 28 '14
Kali
Kali May 17 '14
Nice :)